What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Barefootgardener, does that list look like the one you had last year: (CLICK)?

I won't ask you to go thru all of those but . . .

. . . are there some that you had especially good luck with and some that you wouldn't grow again under any circumstances?!?

Steve

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Barefoot...I'm jeolus with all those different heirlooms you are able to plant. I have room for only 7 plants. Two have to be early girls, 1 a roma, 1 a sungold, so that leaves only 3 heirloom plants! It is soooooo hard to choose only 3! :barnie I've tried growing them in pots but they just don't do well.

Mary
Mary, The sungold is a terrific cherry. One of the few hybrids I am growing. It was extremely productive for me, and the taste is incredible. When you bite into one..Wow!..My little grandson loved these!..Three heirlooms are better than none as I see it..What three are you growing this year? Someday you might have room for more! I threw some extra in a couple 5 gallon pots last year and they did do well. The plants did not get as large and was not as productive, but I still got some tomatoes off each plant. I believe there are some heirlooms that dont get quite so large that people grow in large pots..Will have to look them up for you..

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Barefootgardener, does that list look like the one you had last year: (CLICK)?

I won't ask you to go thru all of those but . . .

. . . are there some that you had especially good luck with and some that you wouldn't grow again under any circumstances?!?

Steve
Steve, I went back and looked at the list, and about 25 or so will be returning beacause they did awesome in my garden, were productive, healthy, and tasted great for fresh eating, slicing and canning. In fact a larger number did pretty well, but I have new varieties I want to try this year. So some were dropped to make room for the newbies. I had a few failures on the list as well, low production, less healthy plant prone to disease..etc..taste just so-so..etc..
I had early blight early in the season, but it affected only a few plants, which seemed to be more prone to it..
My chickens/birds got in on occasion and pulled up some plants and pecked on a few tomatoes that I never got to try...We all know how that goes..

A few I had great luck with and have all the qualities I am looking for in the tomato/plant...Kellogs Breakfast (always a fav.)..KBX, a potato leaf version of KB, Some say it is more productive and bigger tomatoes, but I found it is basically the same except for the leaf..Black Krim, Black from Tula, Purple Dog Creek, Costoluto Genovese (workhorse of a tomato..the first to ripen, very productive all season), Druzba, Aunt Ruby's GG, Brandywine Pink, Ludmilla Red Plum, Indian Stripe, Pantano Romanesco, Japanese Blk Trifele, Wessells Purple Pride, Olayers German, Carol Chyko, Couilles De Taurea, Thessalonki..Giant Sicilian paste..There are a few more, but slipping my mind at the moment..I will post my new list for 2011 in the next few day's or so..Oh Sandul Moldovan and Bear Claw were looking really good, but something ate big bites out of every good tomato I had on each vine. And I only had one plant of each..I should replant those and give another try..

Ones I wont bother with again...? I will post more on this tomorrow ..I need my notes..

Ginny

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Today, I started seedlings inside. Recommended planting date here for peppers and tomatoes are 5/10 to 5/20, so this gives 2 full months for the seedlings to develop inside.

Planted in my Jiffy pot tray:
six types of heirloom tomatoes
Two types of peppers.
4 types of herbs

Planted into much larger containers:
3 types of basil
marigolds
garlic chives
regular chives

Yesterday, I potted up all the herb plants that I bought. I will move them all outside in May. For now, they will be just fine in the sunroom. We also planted 4 raspberry plants yesterday.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:( I am waiting for the snow to melt... have another 2 weeks before I start anything in the house...dont want them to get too leggy

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got some work done on the bus stop/greenhouse today. In celebration I filled some trays with starter soil and will plant some lettuce tomorrow! Three days until spring- it was along time coming!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
:( I am waiting for the snow to melt... have another 2 weeks before I start anything in the house...dont want them to get too leggy
Mom, you should be able to start some seeds anytime now! our last frost date should be around 5/13! on the USDA map we're in zone 5, though i consider it more a 4 when looking for perennial plants. i'm on the southern side of Rochester.

check this out from Johnny's to see what you should start soon in our area. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/e-PDGSeedStart.aspx??source=HomeSeedCalc0311

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Chickie

I usually have problems with leggy plants if I start this early tho I am chomping at the bit to start...I guess I will have to work on that tomorrow...I have the potting soil but need to pick up some vermiculite- Lowe's here I come...I could put plastic over my raised beds to get them into shape they still have snow in them but I actually got to walk over to them today for the first time this year...:)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Mom'O D, if your seedlings get too leggy, it could be that you need to get the light down closer to them. Almost touching their leaves is about right. Or it also may be a bit too warm for them. Once they sprout the temps shouldn't get above the mid sixties or so. :)

Latest posts