What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistlebloom, those hungarian hot wax peppers start putting out a lot sooner than my others do and they just keep on goin' until frost. I'm sure you'll still get a good harvest off of them. I find they make more peppers than I can use and I use tons of them for my hot pepper mustard. ;)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Journey, the seed packet said 70 days, and I was hoping that was from germination, not transplant time.
Hot pepper mustard? Wanna share the recipe? :)

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Thanks Journey, the seed packet said 70 days, and I was hoping that was from germination, not transplant time.
Hot pepper mustard? Wanna share the recipe? :)
Hope you share the recipe:)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I had to replant my peas. A groundhog got them just as they were full of blooms. :hit

Here's the hot mustard recipe. I heard just recently that you are not supposed to can anything with flour in it as a thickener, but I've made many batches of this and had no trouble. My dad got the recipe for me from one of the ladies at his church. This mustard can make one famous. ;) I gave it as Christmas gifts this year along with a roll of homemade summer sausage. :drool

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Today I had to replant my peas. A groundhog got them just as they were full of blooms. :hit

Here's the hot mustard recipe. I heard just recently that you are not supposed to can anything with flour in it as a thickener, but I've made many batches of this and had no trouble. My dad got the recipe for me from one of the ladies at his church. This mustard can make one famous. ;) I gave it as Christmas gifts this year along with a roll of homemade summer sausage. :drool
Thanks for sharing this recipe!! also, I am sorry about your peas! ours are not yet to the blooming stage, but I would be devistated for our grandson if they got ate by a groundhog!! he is impatiently waiting for them !!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lets see... this week sees (hopefully) the transplant of some of our tomatoes, some small cucumbers (for pickles.. hopefully) and salad cucumbers (I'm hoping these are the big ones!), first round of corn, and bush beans (yellow and green)

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Last week I decided to again attempt some tomato plants. In the past few years I have not had good luck with them at all.

This time I am trying them in pots with Miracle Grow Moisture Control Potting soil. I think they will do better in pots than in our soil. The native soil here is so alkaline that when you put vinegar on it, it fizzes!

I planted a Cherokee Purple and a Celebrity tomato. 2 Ancho Gignatea Peppers, 2 Ancho/Poblano peppers. I Thai Chili Pepper and one Red Habenero Pepper.

5172011PottedVeggiesemail.jpg

I do hope they will grow nicely!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is Hoping Right Along with You, Rebbetzin!

I don't know what there is in that Moisture Control potting soil but there sure seems to be some "high-tech stuff" out there these days. I bought some potting soil that was a different formula last year. Since it was to be used for potting-up, I didn't think it matter a whole lot and the other formula wasn't available.

It was something of a mistake :/! I went down to the garden center and asked the guy what he'd suggest adding to a potting mix that must have been 50+% peat moss! He showed me a cornstarch polymer and said that he has seen one envelop (probably not 1 cup) stirred into a 5 gallon bucket of water, set-up all of that water! . . . set-up . . . gel . . . congeal . . . well, you get the idea ;).

The stuff did work well. I'm no chemist but I guess it just doesn't decompose for a long while but provides moisture to the plant roots. Imagine, kind of a plastic - from cornstarch!

Anyway, I planted spinach today. Yes, the seed could have gone in the ground a couple of weeks ago but the best place I have to grow it is where it is quite shady. There was just a very few weed seeds sprouting over there in that cool ground.

Most of the potatoes are up :)!

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you for that recipe journey!!! :D

Yesterday right before ANOTHER round of rain hit, I managed to get in 33 new plants.

Tomatoes:
Brandywine
Sweet 1000 cherries
Purple Cherokee

Peppers:
Sweet bell Yellow
Sweet bell Purple
Hot Red Cayanne

Watermelon-Crimson Sweet
Random red flowers

I also transplanted 6 french marigolds I found popping up around the yard. They belong in the raised beds where they are beautiful and do the most good.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those crimson sweets are so good, I can't bring myself to try any other watermelons. ;)