What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today I planted a third type of cucumber (fancy English type, supposed to be small and good for snacking) and some soybeans. No idea what I'm going to do with those, perhaps the chickens will eat them. -Wendy

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
Today I planted a third type of cucumber (fancy English type, supposed to be small and good for snacking) and some soybeans. No idea what I'm going to do with those, perhaps the chickens will eat them. -Wendy
Ooooh.... Steve has an easy recipe for tofu from soy beans on here somewhere!!! Tofu is goooooooooooooooooooooooooood. :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, as for easy -- I don't want you to knock yourself out on this one from the Food Network:

EDAMAME

Ingredients

1 pound soybeans in the pod
Salt

Directions

Steam soybeans for 20 minutes until slightly soft. Chill. Serve lightly salted.

As for tofu, Here it is (click).

My preference is to eat the soybeans as edamame and get thru as many as I can that way :p. Whatever is left can be dried and stored for tofu. Harvesting can be at about the same time - when the beans are fully-mature but before they begin to dry on the plants.

The edamame is a fun snack and probably, pretty good food! The flavor is close to peanuts! This may sound dumb but what never occurred to me in the 2 years I've grown soybeans is that after you have prepared your edamame as in the recipe above -- You could freeze them!

I've never bought frozen edamame in the supermarket but that looks like that's all there is to it. They are a good snack but I suspect that they are a flavorful salad ingredient, also

;) Steve

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted 3 bean teepees last night. Kentucky Blue, Blue Lake, and Chinese Red Noodle. I also planted 9 marigolds and some cucumbers called "Munchers", lol. That's what I hope to do to them, munch, and munch and munch.

Liana

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Planted black cherry and sungold tomatoes, red rubin and sweet basil, jalapenos, tricolor sage, variegated oregano, and golden creeping thyme.

Next project will probably be to clean out a bed for some strawberries.

mare

Leafing Out
Reaction score
The ground finally got dry enough to till. We planted corn, sunflowers, tomatoes and peanuts. We are doing the peanuts for the first time. I can't wait to see what happens.
In the flower garden I planted coleus, delphiniums, love-lies-bleeding and zinnias.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yesterday I planted rattlesnake pole beans!
...that will grow up this rustic tee-pee trellis!

6a00d8341c2d2753ef0154328242f6970c-800wi

More about the trellis building experience can be found here:
http://sweetmissdaisy.typepad.com/sassy_sweet_notes/2011/05/rustic-teepee-pole-bean-trellis.html

Latest posts