What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ooh, I like that idea! My husband has been cutting up a maple tree for our neighbor. I'll have to have him save me some branches.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm excited to see it covered w/ beans! :)
I wish I could have gotten a little more length to the poles, but trees don't get very big here. :)

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Ooh, I like that idea! My husband has been cutting up a maple tree for our neighbor. I'll have to have him save me some branches.
Years ago, I remember reading an article in a gardening magazine, that some type tree stakes stimulate the beans growth, while others could stunt them.. to long for me to remember does any one know if this is true?

calendula

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am very happy to finally get some of my plants out of the greenhouse and into the garden. Over the weekend, we planted:

Blackbeans
Tongue of Fire Beans
Cucumbers
Peas
Tomatoes (including yellow pear tomatoes, a first for me)
Onions
Potatoes
Corn (including popcorn!)

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
we are SOOOOOOO behind this year due to first the weather and then a broken tiller.

FINALLY got both gardens tilled last night.

Well, DH did. He makes it look so easy I thought I'd give it a try. That thing tossed me all over like a rag doll.

I got the peas planted next to my cattle panel trellis. 6 rows of corn (rows are 20 ft long), onions, nasturtiums, Hollyhocks, and quinoa. Um, I think thats it.

Tonight I have to get in as MUCH as I can because the next 7 days are rain.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How do you like those moon and star melons? I am yet to try them.

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
How do you like those moon and star melons? I am yet to try them.
Last year I harvested mine to early, but they were still pretty good tasting, but with large seeds. Hopefully this year they will get a chance to fully ripen.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Either it was last night, or the night before (can't remember), I got some acorn squash, cantaloupe, lemon cuc's, and a couple 8-ball zuc seeds in the ground.

The rattlesnake pole beans I planted on 5/23 are almost all up! YAY!! :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Even tho' it was 35F in my garden one morning this week, I got some bush bean seed in the ground. I'm anticipating warmer weather, soon ;)!

The spinach is up real good in my Shady Corner. Yes, I know - I could have planted spinach seed weeks and weeks ago. I just realized one reason I was slow about getting that seed in the ground - other than the cool conditions, especially in a bed that has shade thru much of the afternoon. I've got lots of orache!

Orache is such a close cousin to spinach that it has virtually the same uses and, very nearly, the same flavor. There's been a little bit to nibble on out there but today was the 1st day for me to bring a bag of the 2010 volunteers into the kitchen for tomorrow's dinner!

I suspect that it is really late this year but, I'll forgive it :).

Steve