What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Started tomatoes 10 kinds or so, cherry tomatoes 4 kinds I think, peppers 14 kinds o_O. I will give plants to friends if they live. I keep getting free seeds when I order and then read something about something I do not have. I started basil, thyme, celery, oregano. Outside next to the radishes, the spinach is up. I have a flat of the Cherokee Purple tomatoes being taken in and out of the sawhorse and so far they are looking good. Kale and cabbage are looking slow, but are growing. A few other things also are doing pretty good. Repotted collards. I am not sure if this is a waste of time starting them inside or not.

:D .. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a pepper problem. I started so many last year, I think some people were avoiding me for fear I would make them take more pepper plants. I truly am trying to have more restraint this year, but it is not easy!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Winter-sowed a bunch of stuff today. First year I've tried it and I'm always up for a good experiment. ;) You can read more about the method here and here if you're curious. I put out 22 milk jugs of various things, flowers and greens mostly. I did up 2 with tomatoes to use in comparison with those I'll be starting in flats later today. I like to grow a variety of tomatoes, so for now, the flats are more practical since I only need a couple of each.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can't wait to hear how the winter sow goes. I think I started too soon. I am going to start more. I put them in the sawhorse greenhouse for awhile and even at night and then I needed the sawhorse for the plants inside. I put them on the patio during the day and bring in at night. Hollyhocks, Marigolds, collards, Swiss Chard, Bok-choy, spinach, kale, cabbage, coneflowers,and thyme. The coneflowers and thyme did not come up, but old seed. I bought new coneflower seed today and planted and bought some thyme, but planted that inside. They are growing very slow compared to kale, cabbage, Bok-choy that I started inside, but I am wondering if they will catch up. I think if I covered them during the day they would do better. Not sure yet.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can't wait to hear how the winter sow goes. I think I started too soon. I am going to start more. I put them in the sawhorse greenhouse for awhile and even at night and then I needed the sawhorse for the plants inside. I put them on the patio during the day and bring in at night. Hollyhocks, Marigolds, collards, Swiss Chard, Bok-choy, spinach, kale, cabbage, coneflowers,and thyme. The coneflowers and thyme did not come up, but old seed. I bought new coneflower seed today and planted and bought some thyme, but planted that inside. They are growing very slow compared to kale, cabbage, Bok-choy that I started inside, but I am wondering if they will catch up. I think if I covered them during the day they would do better. Not sure yet.

I didn't really need to put out the WS tomatoes, but I am really interested to see how they do by comparison. So it's an experiment then. :) What have your temps been like lately? Maybe they're just waiting for things to warm up a bit. I decided to put my jugs in part shade. I just have a feeling full afternoon sun would not be a good idea. They have a FB group for Wintersown.org. You can ask questions on there from people who've done it for years. It's a very active group too.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
20150310_080008.jpg
20150310_080130.jpg
It was so nice today, and with a warm forecast for the upcoming week, I decided to put the cool season crops outside. Then I got the bright idea to put them in the low tunnel, since I have opened up one side. I couldn't believe the mustard and chard survived the -10* nights we had.
Here's a pic of the various cabbage, kale, broccoli, and Swiss chard on a table outside. It has been growing under lights in the basement. Also a pic of the low tunnel with one side propped up. Note the still green and sorta growing mustard. And weeds.
Clearly I haven't figured out how to put the captions in the right place.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It looks like winter is in full retreat, @so lucky .!Congratulations on the mustard and chard :).

It was a record warm 67° yesterday but there have been clouds and sprinkles all day today here. Now, if it would just rain enough to count for something!

some Anaheim peppers have sprouted! I will put more tomato seed in soon. Breaking up the sowing 3 times this year. Better get some cabbage and broccoli started. Need to try to catch up with So Lucky and Benjamin Bunny is probably counting on them ...

Steve

Latest posts