What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I plant my onions in September and grow in the greenhouse all winter. I trim them back and the greens really toughen up. By spring the onion is the size of a pea and easier to handle for planting outdoors rather than the hair like plants I have produced in the past.This worked out well last year for my onions. I used to buy them. They are expensive and I assure they are not organic as mine are.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I poured a couple of cups of de-icer at the base of my sheds sliding door last weekend and managed to shove it open enough to squeeze in. Now I can retrieve my soil and starting flats and get started.

No snow in the garden anymore here. Still a couple of piles in the front where they cleaned the driveway and threw the snow in the yard and had a mountain. I am wondering if the grass is dead. Feels water logged and weird walking on it. DS said there is more moss in the grass than grass.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I would have had ripped up plastic all over my yard and across the street if I tried to use a hoop house! :hit IF my hotbed experiment works the ONLY place that I can build a proper bed will be on the south side of my garage where there is some protection. Picture a craggy coastline and the winds that come over it and that's what WE get when the winds pick up. We have had two days in the last 30 where we had 50 mph gusts!!
VERY jelly!!!!! :barnie

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would have had ripped up plastic all over my yard and across the street if I tried to use a hoop house! :hit IF my hotbed experiment works the ONLY place that I can build a proper bed will be on the south side of my garage where there is some protection. Picture a craggy coastline and the winds that come over it and that's what WE get when the winds pick up. We have had two days in the last 30 where we had 50 mph gusts!!
VERY jelly!!!!! :barnie

After living in Kansas for over 20 years, I can understand the wind. The wind does not blow like that here. I only have hoops over a box and really when just fresh planted, I could have just stretched plastic over the box and anchored down with bricks. The wind in Kansas nearly drove me nuts. What they call NO wind or a calm day is a windy day in Idaho.

ChickenGrass

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yesturday evening I did some more seed planting!
Here's what seeds and varieties I planted;
Parsnip (tender and true)
Carrot (St.valery)
Cucumber (baby F1)
Chilie pepper (Hungarian hot wax)
Sweet pepper (Californian wonder)
Celery (golden self blanching 3)
Kohl rabbi (Vienna)
Broccoli (Autumn green calabrese)
Sweetcorn (swift)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sweet pepper (Californian wonder)
California Wonder? My King of the North bell pepper seed may be failing! Other than a few Sunsations, it was my only bell and I still have a lot of that seed. So, this California boy was at the garden center seed racks, yesterday.

One reason I have had complaints about that place! Ten different seed companies and 9 sources of California Wonder! It had the nerve to disappoint me once and I haven't been willing to give it another chance. Luckily (sorta), I found King of the North.

I have to get some root celery seed started today! Tomato and eggplant seed went in the soil mix this week.

Steve

ChickenGrass

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
California Wonder? My King of the North bell pepper seed may be failing! Other than a few Sunsations, it was my only bell and I still have a lot of that seed. So, this California boy was at the garden center seed racks, yesterday.

One reason I have had complaints about that place! Ten different seed companies and 9 sources of California Wonder! It had the nerve to disappoint me once and I haven't been willing to give it another chance. Luckily (sorta), I found King of the North.

I have to get some root celery seed started today! Tomato and eggplant seed went in the soil mix this week.

Steve
I hope it works out well for me,
It's my first year trying this variety.
I will let you know how it gets on.
Goodluck with planting your seeds.
Is root celery also called celeriac?

Fionn.

Latest posts