What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, celeriac and celery root (that's what I've seen it called) are the same. I'm hardening off some and hope to get it transplanted in a few days. I got Bianco del Veneto (venetian white) since it is supposed to be less fibrous. It's the first time I've tried it, I think I may be too far south for it but I'll find out.

Last edited:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
California Wonder? My King of the North bell pepper seed may be failing! Other than a few Sunsations, it was my only bell and I still have a lot of that seed. So, this California boy was at the garden center seed racks, yesterday.

One reason I have had complaints about that place! Ten different seed companies and 9 sources of California Wonder! It had the nerve to disappoint me once and I haven't been willing to give it another chance. Luckily (sorta), I found King of the North.

I have to get some root celery seed started today! Tomato and eggplant seed went in the soil mix this week.

Steve
I save my own pepper seeds from my own best looking peppers.
i don't save too many types of seed.
It is very viable with no care. I repeatedly buy Burpee's Chinese giant with very poor germination but seem to always succumb to the beautiful photo. I think it is all about how it is treated at the source and where the store keeps their seed racks. Big bBBertha has been great for me. Last season someone told the inside truth about how old seed is mixed with new and resold. I can't find the thread.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Big bells are almost a road too far for me, @catjac1975 . Chinese Giant produced a nice pepper, if I would have been happy with one per plant. As you could tell by the seed rack offerings, Cal Wonder is very popular, but ...

I've wondered how possible sweetcorn is somewhere like Ireland, @ChickenGrass . That must be an early variety with a name like that.

Venetian celeriac, @Ridgerunner ? Is that the origins of this vegetable? Trainloads of celery are grown near where I was born in California. I'm glad I turned to this relative as an alternative :). Italian, eh?

@ninnymary , I will have that other choice in the mail either today or tomorrow ;).

Steve

ChickenGrass

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Big bells are almost a road too far for me, @catjac1975 . Chinese Giant produced a nice pepper, if I would have been happy with one per plant. As you could tell by the seed rack offerings, Cal Wonder is very popular, but ...

I've wondered how possible sweetcorn is somewhere like Ireland, @ChickenGrass . That must be an early variety with a name like that.

Venetian celeriac, @Ridgerunner ? Is that the origins of this vegetable? Trainloads of celery are grown near where I was born in California. I'm glad I turned to this relative as an alternative :). Italian, eh?

@ninnymary , I will have that other choice in the mail either today or tomorrow ;).

Steve
Sweetcorn in Ireland can be hard to grow outdoors.
But I grow mine in the polytunnel so they do great.
In the summer when I leave both doors open to let heat out,
Wind flows though and pollinates the tassels.
Sometimes I just hand pollinate.
It can be planted in doors around now,
And it will be ready to harvest in August.
It is a sweet variety, and a very good croper.

Fionn.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score

Steve
Sent something today. :)

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

Steve
I could not get more than 1 pepper per plant when I used to buy plants. I start them in January so that I have a large mature plant when I put them out.. This helps a lot. I started some very sweet grocery store peppers of bright colors. Not sure that are not GMO-may have too long a growing season for my garden.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, your latitude is not as high as I was when I was in Copenhagen Denmark, but the only way I could get a tomato to ripen was to grow it in a greenhouse. That greenhouse was not heated, was glass, and my 5-year-old made sure that glass greenhouse had good ventilation up high at one panel, but it made all the difference in the world. Here I find peppers are later than tomatoes.

Latest posts