What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted more beets. Also trying a dwarf sweet pea. Last year I had trouble with my sweet peas since they grew so tall and I had to improvise extending their trellis. I tied string from the top to my deck railing. Since it was at a slant at the top, it did not look that good.

I need to check with nursery to see if they have seed potatoes and if it's not to late to plant. I didn't get around to checking last month.

Mary

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got some sweet potato slips going. Plugged in my seedling heat mat today and almost burned it up. :\ It is very stiff when it is cold and I meant to come right back and unroll it, but wandered off and forgot. Hopefully it is ok. I am close to starting some peppers and tomatoes. Found out last year that later is better for avoiding disease. Looks like it will be another very rainy year. Need to get some peas and onion sets started if it will dry out long enough.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dug compost out of the bins. One even has some ice in it. I got some horse/cow manure and going to build the bins back with straw and rabbit manure and the horse/cow manure and some leaves, and some rabbit urine soaked pine shavings. Raining right now and I took the plastic off the strawberries and the lettuce is coming up. Garlic is coming up and looks good.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
everything here is still covered in a few inches of snow. :hiti want my spring already! i hear the seasonal birds are back but i want to get out & till some ground!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Quite a few flower seeds ...

Including some statice because: "While your job may give you authority and your behavior gives you respect, your statice, high or low, gives you everlasting flowers."

I just sorta made that up.

;) digitS'

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I finally found some dinosaur kale locally, so planted that seed today. (indoors) And some red kale. And I planted marigolds, which I will scatter around the garden.
The larkspur and bachelor buttons survived the freeze we had last week. Now I have to find room to transplant a bunch more larkspur starts, out of my garden path. I planted onion plants on Friday.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried dinosaur kale a few years back. It did not grow anything like what I see in the store, hope you have better luck with it. Now I plant the curly leaf and the Red Russian flat leaf kale. I like the flat leaf because it's easier to find the worms on it but a friend really likes the curly leaf, especially in salads. I started both in early February from seed and should get them transplanted into the garden today or tomorrow, at least that's the plan.

I also scatter marigolds and zinnias around the garden. Not for any perceived benefit, I just like the way they look. I grow corn in four or five different batches about 1-1/2 to 2 weeks apart and plant marigolds at the ends of those rows where they butt together so I can see the separation. They don't do much in that shade but when the corn comes out they really brighten up the garden. And I'll put them a few other places.

I often put a couple of zinnias at the end of a lot of my rows. Not to attract pollinators or anything like that, I just think they are pretty.