What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had some sport jalapeño peppers come up last year. Tried to save seed from a large pepper, think I picked it too green as I got zero germination. Just replanted, used all of them. Watch them all sprout and I have about 40 where 4 should be. Did the same with some bells where the seed was years old.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had some sport jalapeño peppers come up last year. Tried to save seed from a large pepper, think I picked it too green as I got zero germination. Just replanted, used all of them. Watch them all sprout and I have about 40 where 4 should be. Did the same with some bells where the seed was years old.
I hope your jalapeno sport does well... jalapenos have a lot of good traits to impart to crosses. I had one a few years ago that was about twice the length of the parent jalapeno, tapered, and thick walled. Would like to have tried stabilizing that one, but the ground I can devote to breeding projects is limited. In retrospect, I probably should have saved the seeds in case someone with more resources wanted to work with it.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is what mine were. 2-3X larger than normal jalapeños with decent heat & thick flesh. Afraid my seeds were too immature. We’ll see.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is what mine were. 2-3X larger than normal jalapeños with decent heat & thick flesh. Afraid my seeds were too immature. We’ll see.
Good luck - keep us posted.

The cross I'm working with began as Alma Paprika X Pizza (the immature color of Alma is easily identified). The result was a high-yielding plant with nearly round 2-2.5" peppers with 1/4"+ walls, a crunchy texture, sweet flavor, and a delayed but lingering heat. The F1 appeared in an OP population, so the saved seed was further exposed to Beaver Dam, Greygo, and several others... the F2 grow out was really interesting. Virtually all 32 plants of the F2 were different, but enough were similar to the original to warrant further selection. The last grow out was only 6 plants, but all were close to the target characteristics, with slight variations in flavor, yield, and DTM.

20180913_173141.jpg

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I thought this would be a super fun thread to start! Let's all keep posting what we are planting when we are planting it!

:ya

Of course, what one person is planting won't necessarily apply to everyone, especially with all the different zones we all live in, but I thought it would be a great way for us all to explore other zones and see what all our friends are up to.

Let's see if we can keep this thread running for the life of this forum! I want to look back on 100 pages of simple posts that start with "Today I planted ....."

So, here is the format I propose for your post. Let's keep the posts really short and simple. If you want to share more details on what you planted please start a new thread and link to it from your post here.

Today I planted:
Link to my thread with more details:

(Optional link with details and pictures (of planting process and / or what the plant will look like in bloom)
I'm planning to have cucumber if your planning to plant it as well. the best method of planting cucumber is a direct seedling in the garden after the soil has warmed, as the seeds do not germinate in a colder soil than 60 degrees. Only drive two or three cucumber seeds an inch into the soil, spacing the seedlings 18 to 36 inches apart.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems that the best peppers, or the earliest for me to grow to harvest anyway, have the smallest fruit.

There is seldom any problems growing Thai Hot, Super Chili, and Garden Salsa in the "hot bed."

@TwinCitiesPanda 's experience with bells reminds me of the mini bells that I have grown - prolific, although I won't say "very prolific," in this pepper unfriendly climate. DW wasn't impressed with their small size.

I did succeed in turning DW's interest in sweet Italian peppers. They may not be best for stuffing but Corno di Toro certainly seemed "very" prolific in their abundance. It was me who decided they were too thin-walled but I didn't come up with a much better variety with Marconi. Somewhat of a problem was trying Giant Marconi. DW likes them! See what I have done? I'm back to a larger pepper and I'm lucky to have two nice ones, maybe 3, with Giant Marconi.

BTW, if you like to stuff sweet peppers, just take all the stuffing ingredients and put them in a casserole dish after mixing in as much chopped pepper as you want. Couldn't be simpler.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agree n stuffed peppers but it lacks the pizzaz. Flavor same just not as impressive or as labor intensive...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I hope your jalapeno sport does well... jalapenos have a lot of good traits to impart to crosses. I had one a few years ago that was about twice the length of the parent jalapeno, tapered, and thick walled. Would like to have tried stabilizing that one, but the ground I can devote to breeding projects is limited. In retrospect, I probably should have saved the seeds in case someone with more resources wanted to work with it.
The Only reason I plant about 15 jalepanos is bc I have 2 friends who like to eat them raw. Otherwise, I dehydrate and stick them in labelled canning jars for chili.