What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This week I found annuals on sale at Lowes. The six-packs were only .39cents!! I bought three trays of Snapdragons (Dragonacillo), Pansies, Dusty Miller (Cineraria Gris) so I have been placing them around in flower beds and potting in hanging baskets. They will need dead-heading and a good shot of fertilizer...but they will look good soon enough!! I'm never one to by-pass the clearance area.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Planted Amaranth and Tree Tomato seeds today.

Going to experiment with Tree tomatoes (Tamarillos) this year and see if there is much of a demand in our community for them.

Our town is about 60% Hispanic, and I am guessing the fruits might be quite popular here.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Thank for the advice. Greenhouse, oh your so lucky. :D
Today it was crisp, sunny and in the mid-sixties, so the greenhouse/equipment storage area got cleaned up a bit in anticipation of toilet paper seedlings soon becoming residents here........

P1010287-1.jpg

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh, your making this very challenging for me. I had a little metal frame I bought a couple years ago and gave it to my neighbor. Yes I know sillly me. I don't think I could build a green house tomorrow. But I am going to go pick up some plastic. Maybe a cold frame out of pvc for my raised beds.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well its 67-70 degrees this week in San Diego, T-shirt weather.

My neighbor was out tending his horses without a shirt on!

Unbelievable weather for now, even in San Diego.

I got the greenhouse irrigation system installed and moved all the toilet paper roll plantings out there.

And sowed some more Spring wheat to boot!

I've been outside most of the week, and have that good ole' soreness that only comes from spending the day outside:D

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Starting the new year off right! Just started seeds for: bergamot, basil, valerian (free seeds, we'll see what happens), brandywines, cluster tomatoes & corno di toros! This year (again), I'm going to try to cut down on the number of each plant that I start, and increase the variety! :happy_flower

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok so I have all thse little sprouts in the laundry room and I had no idea what I was going to do with them. Then I saw Beavis's green house. I thought a cold frame would do. I was out in the yard today and this is what I came up with. All things I actually had laying in the yard. My DH screwed the pvc in for me and the pallets together. But it's very temporary and mobile. I am off to the store for the plastic. Not sure how I will wrap it but it shouldn't be to hard.

5900_img_0121_1.jpg

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I LIKE IT!

I took some pictures of my greenhouse/hoophouse structure to give you some ideas on how to attach the plastic.

My friend was the staple gun, in which I would just directly staple the plastic to the wooden frame part of the hoophouse.

But here's an idea thats quick and effective:

Get some cinder blocks from your home improvement store (the ones they used to build retaining walls-heavy)

Anchor the plastic on both sides of your hoophouse with those heavy blocks and your done!

Also in case you havent noticed, my house is pretty much covered in shade cloth and is open on both ends. It is just too hot here to enclose the entire structure, the temps would go into the 130's easily, even in Spring on a nice sunny day. Something to think about because you are also based in California if I remember correctly.

OK pics:

Roofline
P1010297.jpg

How I attached my metal hoops to wooden frame:
P1010298.jpg

P1010299.jpg

Lots of staples
P1010300.jpg

P1010301.jpg

Latest posts