What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We have peas and carrots in the ground but nothing else in the veggie department. I put some sweet peas to soak this morning and tomorrow I'll plant them. They're supposed to be heat tolerant and that's what we need her. March 15th is our listed day of "last frost" here in zone 8b so I'm doing more cleaning out beds than planting. Plan on putting in two bare root roses this week though. One is Jacobs Coat and the other is a lavender something or other.
Yesterday we went over to the western side of the mountains to visit my daughter and grandsons. It's spring over there. The fruit trees are in bloom. They look so pretty in their pink and white. They're almonds, peach, pear and nectarines. The flowering trees in peoples gardens were in bloom also...just think folks spring is coming.....:weee:weee:rose

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
that's really funny! So pretty!

today I stuck cuttings in soil in cut-off soda bottles. I'd taken the extra long stems off some pretty asters I bought in the farmers market, and salvaged stems from my brand-new climbing rose that got smushed by a collapsed fence. Earlier, I'd dipped them in rooting hormone powder, wrapped in wet paper and bagged, set aside for now. Hope they catch root. Yesterday I transplanted some seedlings (way too early to have started them, but I couldn't help it).

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
I have some crazy old seeds sitting around so I put them in a jar with paper towels and got them wet.

Here are the peas:

2_peas-jar.jpg

Any suggestions on transplanting them... or just simply stick them in the dirt?

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Ya, I did it to make sure the old seeds were still viable... I'd hate to go to all the trouble to find out the seeds were dead.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Nifty said:
I have some crazy old seeds sitting around so I put them in a jar with paper towels and got them wet.

Here are the peas:

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/2_peas-jar.jpg

Any suggestions on transplanting them... or just simply stick them in the dirt?
If you DON'T have like a million little pots from plants you bought back in the stone age--like ME :lol: --then you can transplant them into a plastic container for each sprout. A cleaned out yogurt container, or sour cream container, etc., with holes on the bottom for drainage, can be filled with starter soil. Dampen the soil, make a depression with a spoon, then carefully transplant the little buggers, carefully push soil around it exposing the leaves. THEN, make a little greenhouse with plastic wrap to keep it from drying out. I have a collection of old ceramic saucers (whose teacups have died), and I would put one of those below it in a warm place like the top of the fridge. When it's big and healthy, and it's REALLY warm enough, your sprout can go into the ground. Good pics--give us an update. :thumbsup

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm so happy to be planting!!!
We are 6-ish weeks from the last frost date :( but I don't care!!!! :weee
It's 60 degrees and we are gardening!!!

Today I will plant 4 onion bulbs as a test in an open cardboard box, that I can close/cover or fill with straw depending on the upcoming weather expected.

I will do the same with some radishes, but I only expect to have to use a little straw if snow comes along for those.

This week I will also be starting my little seeds in pots... :clap I am excited this year as I'm so organized and even have almost finished my garden map!

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm in zone 7b and it's been nice here until yesterday. We are in a wind advisory (common for us) of 35-40 mph with wind gusts up to 60mph. Can't work outside today due to blowing dust but yesterday I planted one of my new climbing roses (Jacob's Coat) and planted sweet peas. My husband has regular peas and carrots planted. My daffodils are up and in bud and flowering trees are blooming but our last frost date is March 15th. I may put tomatoes in the raised bed soon and cover if we get frost. I think everyone is in a hurry for spring this year. Most of the country has had such a bad winter.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm planting some pepper and eggplant seed today!
It's still a looooong way off for our spring. Last year we had 6 inches on March 31st and that's not unusual. There are still at least 3 feet of snow covering my garden. *sigh*

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
65 and the sun is shining, the birds are singing and the hawks are circling... and the chickens are ducking for cover. :hide Supposed to rain tonight and tommorrow so peas are planted. Cleaned up the carrot bed and planted some nantes as opposed to my usual danvers. Well while I am out here, it's such a nice day I planted two rows of spinach, a row of turnips, a small row of beets and worked on the other two raised beds and planted some mustard greens. Taking a little break and back out to tidy up some more. :)

Latest posts