What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Walla Walla sweet onions and the rest of the Tokyo White seedlings - late, I know but I had to wait for the tractor guy. At least he came earlier than last year.

The Walla Walla's aren't so bad but the Tokyo's are like planting dog hair . . . :hu

Beet seed, too.

Also, Asters!

After getting these in - - the rain and hail came down like crazy! I think everything was okay but they'd gone into wet ground, anyway! I was already in the pickup and heading for the barn . . .

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I F I N A L L Y got my 2009 blackberry bushes INTO THE GROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rainbow-sun :woot :weee :throw

They survived the winter in my basement, grew 3-4 ft sprouts in a NORTH facing window. I gave each of the two of them a chopped down 8 ft sapling stick to latch onto. Planted gladiola bulbs around my cement "rocks" by the street--too hard to cut the grass around them. Put in sugarsnap peas (direct sow) into their bed, with a wooden border fence to climb. Threw some (older) sunflower seeds in (south side of garage, again) AND pulled some WEEDS out of my lettuce raised bed--I think that constitutes as un-planting.
05-06-10
Got 100 white onion starts in the ground, handful of rainbow swish chard in the lettuce bed, put in 10 circles of sweet corn (w/bean seeds--pole beans, lima beans, scarlet runner beans) and circles of yellow squash and acorn squash. Sprinkled a bunch of yellow marigold seeds in amongst them all.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cucumbers, Zucchini, Winter Squash, Zinnias, and some Sunflowers!

Who says that after nearly a week of frost, I can't do this after 2 mornings frost-free??

I looked at the 5 day, 7 day, 6 to 10 day, and 8 to 14 day forecasts. And, realize that May 20th and 21st are questionable with Below Normal Temperatures on those days.

Frost on those dates, however, would have to be 12 below normal. Temperatures in the 20's would be near record lows. If it is really 80 this Sunday and the 5 day forecast then looks reasonable, I will probably set the tomatoes and peppers out early next week.

Besides crossed fingers :fl - I also have double the number of plants that the garden has room for! Except the melons . . . O, the melons :/.

Steve's digits
edited to turn some words around

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We ate our first peas out of the garden tonight. The rest of our veggie's are doing great. I still put cover over the tomatoes if it's going to be windy because the wind just tears everything up. We get a lot of wind here in the desert. Monday we had wind gust to 70mph and my lovely Honey Locust tree snapped off about 18 inches above the ground. I'll have to buy another one. We've had our first batch of red potatoes also and several spring onions. the radishes are coming along and the beans and 3 kinds of squash look good. My roses and bearded iris are the best ever.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
desertwillow, you are located in one of my favorite spots in the world.

I used to do a lot of 4-wheeling in that area, especially Nightmare Gulch / Lost Canyon in the Red Rocks area.

Goood times...

Is there a way you could create some type of windbreak / /shelter to protect your vulenerable crops without giving up your ample sunlight hours?

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The best I've come up with for now is to cut the bottoms out of the pots plants come in when you buy them and place them over the vulnerable plants like a high collar. They still get the sun but the wind doesn't cut them so bad. The pots are partially buried so they stay in place. My tomato bed is raised and I have PVC arched over the bed and I have clear plastic over the PVC secured with chicken wire. My trees aren't mature enough to provide a wind break yet. The rest of my garden does pretty good unless I have new growth on my roses and then I have to protect them.
I like this area too but the Ramona area is nice also. I used to go to high school many, many years ago in Mission Bay and my folks lived in Lakeside for a long time. I never made it to the pageant though.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
desertwillow, we must have been thinking about this together, because I'm putting out some tomato seedlings soon, but the wind will surely kill them. I was going to transplant them to my huge stack of 4 cup yogurt containers by cutting out the bottoms to shield them from the wind, JUST LIKE YOU HAD THOUGHT OF.

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I got my seeds today!!:celebrate Unfortunately I cannot do anything with them until Monday. I have cooking/baking to do tomorrow for a bbq with friends on sat. and we have civil war re-enactment on sun.

Monica

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
desertwillow, we must have been thinking about this together, because I'm putting out some tomato seedlings soon, but the wind will surely kill them. I was going to transplant them to my huge stack of 4 cup yogurt containers by cutting out the bottoms to shield them from the wind, JUST LIKE YOU HAD THOUGHT OF.
They work. I'd lose a lot of things if I didn't protect them until they harden up and can tolerate our desert weather.

MsM

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Had a nice salad last night with lettuce from the garden... all plants and seeds are in the ground.. til about August...big garden has been hoed and side dressed... more weeding in the little garden to be done.. beans are running up the fence and cucs are attaching to the trellis.. need to put in the tomato cages...

Latest posts