What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
In case anybody has been wondering where I've been . . .

I've been planting!

I sowed a bunch of chamomile seeds and dill in the herb garden (and yesterday I noticed a bunch of dill from last year popping up here and there . . . 3 volunteers total . . . when they get a bit bigger I will move them to their proper place!), then went to Home Depot for something totally else and bought two rosemary plants, which I have also put in the herb garden.

I also received my Cavendish strawberries (more detail on that thread) and planted all 15 of them in my garden, having first expanded the strawberry patch by 16 square feet.

Tomorrow I am going to plant the basil that I have been growing in my basement (3 plants for us, the rest get to hang out in 12oz plastic cups until they get to my mother, my MIL and some friends who want a basil plant) in the herb garden.

Tomorrow I will also be planting the Cherry Belle radishes, the Early Wonder beets, the Red Dragon, Scarlet Nantes and purple carrots, and the Tennis Ball lettuce seeds that I have. I can't wait!

You see, Hubby and I (along with the help of a friend) have FINALLY tamed the wilderness I mentioned in my last thread -- all 188 square feet of it --, cultivated, composted added and all, and it's ready to go!

That's what I've been doing, hope nobody missed me too badly.

Whitewater

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:) Just planted some broccoli rapini today i believe its the same as broccoli raab.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You guys are some busy bodies! :lol:

We're expecting rain today and over the weekend... so to take advantage of mother nature, I managed to get in several rows of lettuce (Loose Leaf heads and a salad mix with green and reds), then a bunch of cosmos and Red Lady Poppy seeds.

Thank goodness Home Depot is doing buy one get one free on all the seed packets they have! Good deal!!!

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted some started plants today. I put out some watermelon seeds several weeks ago and none of them have sprouted so I decided to just go and buy some. While I was looking at watermelon, I also picked up some pickling cucumbers and a pumpkin since one of the squash I put in my three sisters garden didn't sprout.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted glads . . . and, I'm glad I did . . . shoveled out the entire bed, tilled in some amendments/fertilizers, laid out the bulbs & covered them . . . then did a lot more shovel work . . . now, I'm tired.

:th

Steve's digits

Oh the gladness of their gladness when they're glad,
And the sadness of their sadness when they're sad;
But the gladness of their gladness, and the sadness of their sadness,
Are as nothing to their badness when they're bad.

James Matthew Barrie, creator of Peter Pan

:)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I waited nearly 2 months for my husband to get his truck fixed so he could go borrow my dad's tiller for me (and also haul manure, rocks, etc for me as well). He finally gave up and now it's in the shop. A couple days ago, my neighbor said we could borrow her tiller, but it needed a new pull string put on it. My husband tinkered on that for a couple days, changing the spark plug and air filter, siphoning out the old gas, cleaning the fuel line, spraying "engine potion" inside to clean it.......nothing! It won't start.

So today I got out my turning fork and broke up my garden to plant 64 (all together) cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower.

I started them from seed and thanks to fluorescent shop lights (which I learned about on here, thank you, thank you) I had my first truly successful year starting brassicas from seed. It is forecasted to begin raining tomorrow and continue for the next 4-5 days. I couldn't let them sit around any longer and get root bound!

All the manure and compost I put on there last year made it so much easier to break up our red clay with the turning fork. It worked up so nice! Had I known it would be so easy, I would have planted them 2 weeks ago when I was supposed to!

:tools

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't planted one thing!!! :( It has been a super dry spring and the nights are still dipping into the 30s sometimes here, so the folks who did plant are having no luck germinating anyway.

I plan to finally get some lettuce, onions, radishes, carrots, peas in the ground maybe next week but don't expect much to happen unless we get some rains and some warmer weather.

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My darling though clueless hubby (at least, when it comes to gardening, he's really very intelligent generally) went today, all by himself -- without consulting me (that's important to know! LOL!) -- and dug up the front flower bed of the front of the house, which is in total shade (so much so that *nothing* grows there except thistles), in order to sow some 9 year old cabbage and sunflower seeds.

I just smiled and thanked him if for no other reason than for breaking the sod and cultivating and all that.

We're not going to get cabbages or sunflowers, even if they were this year's seeds, it's just not sunny enough!

*sigh* I love Hubby dearly, but sometimes when he gets the bit in his mouth, there's nothing for it but to go along for the ride. At least this time was relatively harmeless, :lol:

So, technically, I guess, today we sowed cabbage and sunflower seeds.

I'll let you know if anything comes of it!

Whitewater

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I think I've planted all the veggies I'm going to. We have carrots, onions, peas, pole beans,mustard and turnip seed, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow summer squash, and acorn squash , bell peppers and tomatoes. I have planted roses this year and agave, red salvia, petunias, dahlias, and I still have CA poppies, hyacinth bean, lantana and trumpet vine seeds still in peat pots not quite ready to set out. It went up to 80 today but there is to be another cold storm come down from the gulf of AK next week and bring colder temps and wind and rain. The rain we can always use in the desert but we can do without the wind. It dries everything up. My iris are beautiful and my roses are too now that they are blooming.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Whitewater said:
My darling though clueless hubby (at least, when it comes to gardening, he's really very intelligent generally) went today, all by himself -- without consulting me (that's important to know! LOL!) -- and dug up the front flower bed of the front of the house, which is in total shade (so much so that *nothing* grows there except thistles), in order to sow some 9 year old cabbage and sunflower seeds.

I just smiled and thanked him if for no other reason than for breaking the sod and cultivating and all that.

We're not going to get cabbages or sunflowers, even if they were this year's seeds, it's just not sunny enough!

*sigh* I love Hubby dearly, but sometimes when he gets the bit in his mouth, there's nothing for it but to go along for the ride. At least this time was relatively harmeless, :lol:

So, technically, I guess, today we sowed cabbage and sunflower seeds.

I'll let you know if anything comes of it!

Whitewater
Bless his heart...gotta love "em. I spent all winter making great plans, ordering everything we needed, etc..
..then when its time to plant.. well, lets just say, I know where you are coming from. But since I am physically unable to do it all myself, I also am along for the ride.:he
But who knows, we both may get surprised.:ya

Latest posts