What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll put in some more lettuce transplants today. Supposedly, the lettuce already in the garden should have amounted to something but the sparrows have been at it like a herd of cows . . :rolleyes:

What I think of as the "shady corner" is where most of the salad veggies are grown later in the season. The shade is from tall trees and falls across this ground from about mid-day on.

Probably, lettuce shouldn't be planted near those trees in April and May. The sparrows make good use of it. On more than 1 year, so have the pheasants :/.

I feel sorry for the sparrows. They had a very mild winter here and their population #'s are high. The neighbor's birdhouses, ignored last year, are filled with parents flying to and fro'. That is, they were.

I think they've probably lost their babies . . . a very mild winter turned into a wet, cold, windy spring - continuing. Where are the bugs for baby birds??

The pressure for food has been so high that the sparrows have clipped all the bok choy that's about 50 feet to those birdhouses. If we struggle as gardeners with difficult weather, imagine what it would be if we were really living a "natural" existence of simple foraging. Ah, well . . .

Steve

Willow's Garden

Leafing Out
Reaction score
This month I've planted.....green beans, 5 tomato plants, 4 pepper plants, basil, parsley, lettuce, marigolds and basil. I still have to plant brocculi and carrots, in the vegetable garden!!! Oh and I have strawberries!!! And then in the flower garden......welll I haven't planted anything yet! We tilled it last week but we still have to do it again. But I am planting a TON of flowers!!!!! lol. A lot of annuals that I have already (still in there pots) which I can't remember the names lol. I got them from a farmer on our street who grows all his own plants from seeds and sells them. Then I am planting hydrangeas, butterfly bush, bee balm, fireglove, delphinium, salvia, clematis, coneflowers and many others! :) I have 7 tomato plants now! Oh and I am helping my neighbors with there garden. They are growing most of the vegetables I'm growing but.....cantolope, corn, watermelon, all sorts of berries and mooooorrre fruit!!!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am running next door to steal a zuchinni from their garden, they over planted and its stunting the growth of the few he wants to keep.

So more for us!!! :D

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
CA is sure getting weird weather this year. I dread what kind of summer we'll get here in the high desert. My tomatoes are coming along. We're eating radishes, red potatoes and green peas. I think I'll pick some greens for tomorrow. The turnip and mustard are ready. There are big fat yellow blooms on the squash so there should be plenty of zucchini, yellow squash and acorn squash this year. I'll have to plant the green beans again. This hot one day cold the next seems to have just made them stop growing.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Most of my planting is done till Fall but I use so many bell peppers I planted some backups today to take over when the ones I planted earlier start to poop out.

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just pulled out some celery and cilantro that got over grown and went to seed while I was on vacation. The celery had just been a filler, we didn't use much of it other than for the occasional stew. I have more cilantro planted so I didn't need the stuff in the back garden. In their place, I will be planting a few jalapenos. The ones I have in my front garden just don't get enough sun and therefore haven't grown much at all, let alone flower or fruit, so I am putting some more in the back where they should do much better. I'm also putting in a couple more tomatoes, a roma and a yellow pear.

I'm also going to be planting some squash and other various things in my community garden plot. My husband just went out there today and put in some irrigation on a timer so at least it will get watered now. I'll have to think about what I want in there...

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What part of SoCal are you in? I've found it all but impossible to grow celery here in San Diego, except for wild celery.

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm north of you on the border of Los Angeles and San Bernardino counties. The inland empire.

My celery was as tall as I was when I pulled it... couldn't believe how big it got in the two weeks we were gone!