What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just finished another raised bed for the Jerusalem artichokes and possibly the Yukon Gold potatoes, if they'll fit. (Hmm... are those okay together?) -Wendy

ETA: added a second 4x8 bed and kept the potatoes separate, since the Jerusalem artichokes are a permanent planting. And put snow peas down the middle of the potato bed, having read that peas and potatoes are complimentary crops, though I suspect they meant regular peas. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My JA are right at the end of one of my beds where I rotate my potatoes through, and even though they are a sunflower I don't think it's been an issue. I mean the potatoes seemed fine. They are separated by about 3 feet or so usually, where I leave some bare space. Just don't do what I did and shred a boat load of spent sunflowers and till the residue into your beds for 2 years in a row :( .

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
. . . put snow peas down the middle of the potato bed, having read that peas and potatoes are complimentary crops, though I suspect they meant regular peas. :)
Snow peas are "regular" peas, Wendy. You can shell them if'n you want to ;).

I like the idea of growing a row of peas between the potatoes! I bet that works good.

Steve

waryyear950

Sprout
Reaction score
I'm from Minnesota so I'm looking forward to putting up my green house in a couple of weeks.I usually plant way to much stuff.I love to watch them grow.:frow

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
momofdrew said:
Thanks Thistle,

I dont have a grow light but do have a heating mat I just use my sunny window so I have to be careful they dont get spindly..Grow light is on my list of must get...
Are you keeping them on the heat mat after they sprout?
They don't need the bottom warmth once they're up.
may be that was my problem last year thanks again Thistle!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Boy am I tired! 83 degrees and gorgeous today.

I bought a bunch of annuals today. So we planted petunias, marigolds, creeping phlox and couple others to fill pots and some naked spots in my gardens.

Moved some of my tomato & pepper flats out to get some sun, and transplanted 4 tomatoes that got so huge they needed bigger pots.

To top off the day we mulched my daughter's new flower bed, and then gave everyone a little boost by making 2 5 gallon buckets of compost tea and everyone got a drink. (Even my little starts in the house got a taste!)

mare

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I transplanted my tomatoes into pots and now they are out in the greenhouse. The peas and lettuce seeds that I planted last week are all sprouting. Tonight I'll be planting onions.
Yesterday I ordered peanuts (first time trying), strawberries and a gooseberry plant. Can't wait for them to come in.:D

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
My three year old granddaughter, Ava, is an avid gardener also, and today she helped me start flower seeds: Marigold, Aster, Calendula, Zinnia, Rudbeckia and Cosmos. We germinate them in moist coffee filters as we get better results that way. And, yes the likes her hair hanging in front of her face! Must be a new trend.:rolleyes:

seeds2.jpg

Latest posts