What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I use winter sowing every year! I start tomatos, peppers, eggplants, coles, herbs, flowers, and more in the gallon jugs. Last year was the first time I had a failure -- sort of. Everything was up as typical, but we had a cold snap after a few really warm days, and the tender plants that had lept out of the ground froze. I restarted my seeds and made out okay. Normally, the winter-sown plants beat my hubbie's greenhouse plants, and occasionally the wintersown has been all we had!

The winter sow'n website says to slice the gallon jugs in half. Don't do this -- it is hard to get them back together. I use a razor knife to slice a hand-sized opening on one side, following the lines of the jug. After putting in the pro-mix and seeds, I use packing tape to re-close the side. It is easier to move the jugs this way.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like that idea Teka!

Cloches made of plastic milk bottles.

How much before the last frost should it be done?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gardening with Rabbits said:
I know you had some real frustrations along with some triumphs, GwR. I had, probably, an unacceptable amount of fun reading that. Besides an unintended mistake now and then, there are things that are beyond our control every year. Life! We just do the best we can with it.

Marshall, they are more containers than cloches but could serve as a direct-in-the-ground sort of thing. Don't know. I think, and the winter-sowers can correct me, that a lot of them have seed in the soil right now. The soil in the containers may freeze but it may not make much difference with a lot of things. That is, as long as there isn't dehydration.

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
last week started 30 imperial artichokes as of today have 28 plus just for laughs planted 6 bok choi had to transplant them today.

DSC_0008_zps8b0270ad.jpg

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've been planting rose bushes a friend gave me because she's moving and doesn't want to leave them at her old place. She doesn't want to move them out of state either. They'll make a nice addition to my rose bed. I always have room for roses and bearded iris. My onions and garlic are coming along. I've pruned my roses and am cleaning up my flower beds. There isn't a lot to plant in the high desert in January. It's more clean up time. Next month I can start planting in my raised beds but will have to protect from frost and wind. This last storm that went through that brought warmer temps as well as rain brought out the bees. They are all over looking for food I guess. A shame since nothing is in bloom this time of year. I have daffodils poking through but no buds yet.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's springtime in my house! That's spinach in the hydroponic kit, and flowers (nasturtium, cosmos, tithonia, hyssop, calendula, bee balm, basil, lemon balm, chamomile, and 4:00s), tomatoes (golden jubilee, Amish paste, Caspian pink, ivory egg, Kellogg's breakfast, riesentraube) and orange habaneros started on the shelf. Oh and broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and cauliflower! I pack a lot into that little space!

5763_830505_10151447083254826_203477367_o.jpg

5763_857435_10151447084304826_1551139133_o.jpg

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wowwweeee!!! Fantastic!!

Yesterday, I put the first seeds in the garden. Jumbo Peas, beets for pickling, and some spinach. We were supposed to get rain last night and all day today, so I busted butt yesterday to get things done so I could take advantage of the pending rain.

But, did it rain!? NOOOOOO.....

Grumble grumble.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Setting up all of my seed starting stuff today. I can't believe how many pots I have for transplanting but I only have 4 flats for starting. I need like....triple that amount. Off to the hardware store to pick up some more. Then I'll be starting all my peppers and next week I will be starting the tomatoes!

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Crazy weather here. It can't decide whether it wants to be winter or spring. No rain or snow bur everyone around us has had some. It's been extremely cold at some nights-9 degrees our lowest, but we've had days in the 80's, some days. I have daffodils in bloom which is right for the time of year in the high desert and my roses are budding out. I'm reluctant to plant delicate things unless I protect them although I have planted gladiolas, hollyhock roots and a few other flowers that are under ground and can't remember their names. I have four rose bushes to plant and hope to plant today. High winds stopped me from gardening for a few days. One of the roses has leafed out so it will need protection. My onions and garlic have survived the winter and are doing well as are the plants my friend gave me. I hope to plant potatoes this week and I have 3 Eldorica pine trees I want to plant and three more Lady Banks roses. I haven't started any seed yet but plan on starting that soon.

Last year we put shade over the raised beds and it helped the veggies with the heat and wind. My tomatoes did very well under there. I took photos of the shad so I'll see if I can find them and downsize them to post here later. I guess we are all anxious for spring to come.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Have not even thought about starting anything...this is a very snowy February...more than 4 feet total so far and more to come tonight... what I do have to do is make sure all my pots are clean...those that can will go into the top rack of my dishwasher...

Latest posts