What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I brought my (DD's, actually) amaryllis out of dormancy. It is growing on the kitchen counter, on top of the radiator...where it's "warming up" to bloom next month.

that's a bit early IMO, i hope it will do ok. :) i won't break mine out until the end of January or into mid-February when the light finally starts to get bright enough in this room again.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I took out a few of the BOSS growing in my chicken grazing frame experiment and planted them in a pot to see how they'd do indoors in the Winter. So far, pretty good!

PXL_20201231_192447192.MP.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Started grocery store garlic on top of the fridge in a grocery store clear vegetable sample container,This time with soil. I put the lid on to greenhouse them. About 1/2 have sprouted. It's fun to see the roots first. As soon as each gets too big I will transplant each to a pot and put them under a gro light. I have ordered Italian late garlic. I have 4 plants that survived from last year, when I started garlic on my counter in egg cartons. I ALWAYS seem to have a learning curve. :rolleyes:
Did you know that ~90% of our garlic is grown/shipped from China?
We should be exchanging it here.
I hope to harvest ALL my garlic in August and replant for 2022 in November, which is the recommended time here, according to the University of IL.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you know that ~90% of our garlic is grown/shipped from China?
We should be exchanging it here.
That wasn't always the case, just one more thing outsourced that shouldn't be. I've been garlic self-sufficient for almost 20 years, in spite of losing my entire collection 3 times, due to various issues. Fortunately in a normal year, we dehydrate enough to last us & our adult children for two years. The 2020-2021 planting is the first time we've used a raised bed, hopefully that will overcome the drainage issue which has stunted (or killed) our garlic several times in years past.

Latest posts