What are You Readin'?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pilgrim's Progress? Emmet Fox? . . .

I have been reading on the internet recently about LDS ideas on the hereafter.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pilgrims Progress is an old one and a good one. I read that way back in Jr. High, ought to pick it up again.

Along with the Bible, where I have spent a lot of time in Psalms these last few months, and am reading through the Gospels currently, I have a stack that I want to get through before spring.

Some of these are work related , and some for pleasure.
An arboriculture textbook, that's not exactly gripping reading, but it's authors are highly respected in the field.

Pirones tree maintenance, which is a really good reference book, and there's a few chapters on diseases I want to brush up on for some trees one of my customers has that have a problem.

Botany for gardeners, which I started last winter but got bogged down with the authors worldview that he kept inserting in every other paragraph, so I set it aside, I'm going to give it another try.

I just finished Love Over Scotland, by Alexander McCall Smith, my new favorite contemporary author. He's a prolific writer and the Scotland Street series is charming and humorous.
I stumbled across him at the library looking for audio books to ride the bike to. I got impatient waiting for the library to have the next audio book in the series so I ordered a used paperback from Amazon. I love the readers voice on the Scotland Street series. A readers voice can really make it or break it for me on audio books. :D

Does listening count? Right now I'm listening to The Prayer Box, which is surprisingly better than I thought it was going to be. It makes me want to stay on the bike longer so I can finish more chapters.
Mystery books by David Rosenfelt have been pretty good too for pedaling motivation.
I always grab an Agatha Christie audio book too just in case the others don't pan out.
Like the one written and read by Garrison Keillor, that I quit listening to into the second of 6 discs. I used to love listening to Lake Wobegone years ago on the radio,but this book seemed too much like Keillors private fantasies and it creeped me out.

Seed catalogs and TEG and other internet reading....I just realized why I haven't got a single closet organized!

You probably didn't want a novel for a response, huh? :oops:

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well besides reading Thistle's novel of what SHE'S reading... haha.

I debated whether to post what I'm reading right now, as its fairly ScInTiLLating compared to others...but what the heck, you already know I'm the black sheep of my family... :D

I'm rereading the Game of Thrones series, by George RR Martin. It's a medieval fantasy soap opera with a lot of death. And more death. In fact, I saw a picture on Pinterest with a flag on every page where someone dies... :hide

13eac6ffe129b6df51b6a620cebc59bb.jpg

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ohhhhh, there's the bloody flux, and all the wars, and all the assassinations, and oh the dragons, and burning at the stake, poisonings...hmm, I'm missing quite a few I think...

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Anyone a fan of Jean Auel's series Children of the Earth? Clan of the Cavebear, The Plains of Passage, The Shelters of Stone, The Mammonth Hunters.

I read a handful of them, NYboy. I like them...in a simple read kinda way. It wasn't total love though, like the way I am with some other authors.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember reading Clan of the Cave Bear when I was young and really enjoyed it. I still recall quite a bit about it.

I never read Pilgrim's Progress in school, not sure why. We saw an animated movie about the life of John Bunyan recently and that's what prompted me to read the book.

Most of what I read for my own enjoyment nowadays tends to be technical or of a how-to nature. I've checked out the same book on soapmaking three times now and still have to wonder if I'm ever going to get around to it. Gotta get someone to take my toddler for a whole day before I'll be brave enough to get out the lye. :/

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anyone a fan of Jean Auel's series Children of the Earth? Clan of the Cavebear, The Plains of Passage, The Shelters of Stone, The Mammonth Hunters.
I don't remember if I read more than the first few. I was discouraged when the series continued and I couldn't find the next book. I'm not sure if I even had the title. I had bought the prior ones at yard sales.

Mary

Latest posts