What are You Readin'?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anyone a fan of Jean Auel's series Children of the Earth? Clan of the Cavebear, The Plains of Passage, The Shelters of Stone, The Mammonth Hunters.

I read three of those titles. Not really my sort of book but they were black on white and I tended to read anything in that category.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Long story short. . . I don't read much anymore. I suspect it's psychological, but I just can't concentrate on a book.

Currently I have been reading garden catalogs for hints and ideas, and checking with my two gardening bibles: "The Victory Garden", by James Underwood Crockett and "Gardening In Wisconsin" for time tables and planning the choices I find in the catalogs.

Also, I just started re-reading my recently purchased "Seed to Seed" by Suzanne Ashworth. Finally, I am slowly going through "The Secret Life of Plants".

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Seed to Seed is my vegetable seed saving bible, I can't go too long without reading it. It does go deeper than most books on the topic. I've got the second edition.

For ornamentals & herbs I turn to "The Complete Guide to Seed Saving" by Robert and Cheryl Gough.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh! I thought "The Secret Life of Plants" was fascinating, even when i did a little more research and found out that it was mostly debunked after the fact. It is just an interesting idea!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh! I thought "The Secret Life of Plants" was fascinating, even when i did a little more research and found out that it was mostly debunked after the fact. It is just an interesting idea!
What?!? It was debunked? Now I am really bummed! I've been wasting time trying to find a hollow cow horn to fill with manure and bury. :th

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What?!? It was debunked? Now I am really bummed! I've been wasting time trying to find a hollow cow horn to fill with manure and bury. :th

Ummmmmmmm, it has been a while since i read it, 15 years maybe...i dont remember anything about a cow horn?!

I definitely remember that the experiment they did where some "bad person" would come in and viciously murder a plant in front of other plants, and then they said those other plants would "respond" when they saw the bad person again...completely debunked.

Latest posts