What came first -- the chicken or the garden?

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've been in the garden since I was 6 weeks old, but we might have had chickens then. That's difficult! For myself, as an individual, chickens came at 5 years of age and the garden came a little later. Or maybe it came the same year. :rolleyes:

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
beefy said:
i used to have a garden and now i have chickens.
I hope that the chickens aren't the responsible party and the reason the garden is gone. :lol:

I was a gardener from the time I could walk! When about 2 years of age, I was always digging in the dirt - to the point that my nickname from then on out was Dirt-Shirt. My first memory was at the age of 2 1/2 when my mom was gardening and I noticed the big tractors working the dirt lot at the end of our street to become a school yard. Lived near farms. Gardened with my dad from the time I was little. My favorite college class was an economic botany class and the lab was growing a garden. When I moved into an apartment, I grew in pots. When I bought a house, the garden went in shortly thereafter.

The chickens came later - 2 years ago. And, their home is in the veggie garden!

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
The egg came first... oh wait, that's a different "what came first" question! ;)

Well I started gardening way before I ever had chickens. That said, I'm far from an expert at it. I think I've just been lucky when I get vegetables from the home center, drop them in the dirt and give them some water.

As I mentioned in another thread BYC made me into a chicken "expert" and I'm really hoping the same thing will happen here at TEG and that I'll become a gardening expert. I really hope to be "growing" both for many years to come... the two just go so well together. :D

bayouchica

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've had chickens for 4 yrs now,never really had a garden growing up in the "big" city,lol.
So now I have lots of room to grow stuff & find sometimes it's a challenge with free ranging chickens. :barnie So far so good. :tools

Latest posts