What came first -- the chicken or the garden?

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's fun to read all of your responses.

Bayouchica -- I'm glad you haven't let the chickens discourage your gardening! With my ducks, I've noticed that the more space they have to roam, the less interested they seem to be in my garden . . . well . . . somewhat anyway. :/

miss_thenorth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Always wanted chickens, but not practical for me to have them before now. have been gardening for about 6 years. --veggies, not flowers next come goats, pigs, rabbits....... the kids are getting older, and i need more to do, or i might have to become obsessive about cleaning my house---and I'd rather NOT. :coolsun flowers are definitely on the backburner...

pinkflower

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Gardening and chickens came at the same time for us. Chickens did better the first year than the garden. Deer got to the plants.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Since as far back as I remember we've always grown our own fruits and veggies and we've always had chickens.

For me, I've gardened first and just recently got chickens.

I wish I had the chickens a long time ago though, then again, I'd probably have about 20 more than I do now.

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Garden came first for me, never had chickens growing up but we always had a garden. We have had chickens off and on, guineas here and there (just sold all my guins) still have 12 chickens left. Mostly goats and garden here.
KidsOnLog.jpg

ksacres

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Chickens! I've had chickens since I was 8 years old.

This will be my first year with my very own garden!

momsgarden

Sprout
Reaction score
Gardening, except if you count my childhood pet rooster. I've done both flowers/ornamental and veggie gardening off and on all my adult life; the chickies came last year. Now that my trees are so big, veggies are pretty much out of the question for me. It gives the chickens a bigger backyard to roam in, and they don't seem to mess with the herbs that I stick in every sunny spot. I can't live without my basil!! They chooks are killing my rosemary bush because they love to dust bathe under it and are slowly digging it up. I'm planting another in the front yard where they can't get to it. But I came here from BYC and still don't have this offically bookmarked, I just come through the links....

Karen

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Garden first, definitely. Rescued a bunny several years ago, which lived for years in a hutch in the yard, and I got used to the fertilizer. Now looking forward to the same benefits plus eggs with some chickens.

Latest posts