What came first -- the chicken or the garden?

Betsy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hmm...My family has always had some form of a garden, but I don't remember taking much interest in it until just after we got chickens.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been playing in plants since I can remember, and got the first plant of my own when I was three.

Birds of my own began when I was 16, and I added my first hen to my life a few short years later.

But in those days I just had one at a time as pets who laid eggs, and lived with other birds. Dh had chickens as a child, so it was logical, once we were married, to continue having them with our other birds.

We got our first actual flock, of more than 2 or 3, 20 years ago. :)

So, gardening came first. :coolsun

jemagsy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Gardens sort of... I read up on gardening as a child but never really got to do much of it. (My parents *hated* gardening and actually had the garden beds taken out and grass seed sown in one of the houses we lived at).

Then a few months after we got married my husband and I moved out to the country and got a chicken in October (my idea not his lol).... and then a few more... and then we started composting and gardening. So its really is our first year for both chickens & actual gardening. :D

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have been into flower gardening since I got my own house.My father helped me decide what to purchase and gave me alot of advice.My father is big into gardening and I remember my mother sending me out to the vegetable garden at dinner time to gather stuff for a salad.
After I got my yard pretty well situated with a good base of plantings, I decided to do herb and vegetables. It just so happend I had the opportunity to get some chickens last month, which I had been researching for a while.So I got my chickens and am incubating some eggs right now and I am putting in the herb and vegetable gardens this weekend.
Now its something I will do in tandem, I still have alot of room to plant some more flower beds and shrubs in the backyard(front yard is maxed out) and I can do that at my leisure while I dive into vegetable gardening.The chickens will provide me with black gold for the soil and I am sure they will enjoy any plant they can get their little beaks on, so these two hobbies will support eachother.

Dixiedoodle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
flower gardening came first...Growing up we moved alot but I could always have a window box or a container with flowers. Next came a veggie garden-container also..then I married a farm boy who loved to plant, grow veggies and had all the farm equip. to make a REAL garden. I learned tons from him, his dad and his uncles. Started small and have expanded to huge fields of Sunflowers and veggies.. Now, some thirty yrs. later I am getting the coop started and the chickens will come in June..

Mossy Rock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Garden came first, then ducks and geese, now both garden and chickens.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
jmk3482 said:
I started the insanity of chickens first.

Now I'm moving into gardening. Both flower and vegetable.

I think composting is next.:tools
YUP!!

although I did garden in my previous marriage.. when I moved with the divorce.. I am now in my house setteled enough.. started again first chickens now garden..and compost is comming right behind with production of chicken poo.. :D

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is another great old classic topic!

Digit, I find these by noticing that some folks here have been here since the beginning of the easy garden forum's early days.

I click their pseudonym name, and it takes me to their basic profile page.
I scroll down to where it says something like view all posts and i click that.
They often have 20 or more pages, so i click the thing for the highest last page.
then i look at the old posts, and at the top of those it shows the topic name, so I click that topic name.
VOYLA, there is the old classic topic.
Some of them may be oldies, but are timeless goodies.

=====

For me the garden came first. Some of my earliest memories were of gardening with my mother.
In the late '70's I kind of lived at my sister's place and there were Aracaunas there...that's the old name i guess for what are now called Americaunas...

I guess I'd best not get chickens until and unless I can build a very predator proof place for them, like brick.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:lol:
You don't need BRICK Marshall... That made me laugh.

We started the garden first... and then we got ducks.... and then chickens... and then more ducks.... and probably more ducks and chickens in the spring... :lol:

Latest posts