What did you can (freeze, dehydrate, preserve) today?

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I canned:
pickles
mixed berry jam
grape jelly
bruschetta

I dehydrated:
stawberries
dipped bananas
and made fruit chews in the dehydrator

We went blueberry picking today and I froze 10 pounds of blueberries until I can do something with them.

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Today I did

19 pints of corn
2 quarts of corn in freezer bags
16 ears vacuum packed for the freezer
8 trays of yellow squash in the dehydrator

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I canned roasted red pepper spread
Alot of work but it is delicious!

I did the jelly bean jelly where you flavor the jellies all different fun kinds for the kids.
I made the following flavors:
root beer
bubble gum
cherry
raspberry
watermelon
coconut (which I plan to use on chicken)
butter rum
vanilla butternut

I canned some more blueberries too.
Did the blueberry jams that I did the other day that I got off of this site. I really recommend those recipes.
I can't wait to put them on pancakes!!

All together I canned about 60 jars, which is a good start for the year.Now I have to wait for more veggies to come in.

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I made 13 pints of White and concord grape jelly yesterday. Today I froze 5 qts of Zucchinis and 2 qts of yellow squash. I put up 4 bell peppers, 1 qt of jalapenos and cayenne peppers and tomorrow I'm making sweet pickle relish. Forgot to add that I put 60 ears of Silver Queen corn in the freezer yesterday.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
GardenGirl, those are so easy to make too.
Just use the basi jelly recipe with white grape or apple juice with the sugar and then add the flavoring. I buy the flavored oils at the cake and candy decorating supply store and use just a little bit.
Its a big hit with the kids and some of the grown ups!

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Simple Life

I would like that pepper spread recipe if possible

Punkin

Could you spare the hot green tomatoe pickle one as well?

I am putting up Broc Zuke Squash Purees for the Mrs Sienfield recipe book.

Hobby

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Roasted Red Pepper Spread
6 lbs red bell peppers
1 lb roma/plum tomatoes
2 large cloves garlic (unpeeled)
1 small white onion
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp salt

Under a broiler or on a grill at 425 roast red peppers, tomatoes,garlic and onion, turning to roast all sides until tomatoes and peppers are blistered, blackend and softened and until garlic and onion are blackend in spots.
About 15 minutes,( I am writing this exactly as the recipe dictaates but I found that if you do the garlic and onion as long as the tomatoes and peppers they get too soft to chop)
Remove from heat. Let the garlic and onion cool. Place peppers and tomatoes into paper bags. Secure the opeings and let cool until they can be handled.
Peel papery skins off garlic and onion. Finery chop garlic and set aside. Finely chop onion, measure 1/4 cup and set aside.
Peel and seed peppers and onins. Working in batches, place peppers and tomatoes into a blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade and puree until smooth.
prepare canner jars and lids.
In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine tomato and pepper puree, garlic , onion, vinegar, basil, sugar, and salt.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil gently until mixture thickens and mounds on a spoon, about 20 minutes.
Ladle hot spread into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace by adding hot spread if necessary, by adding hot spread.
Put lids and bands on jars until fingertip tight.
Process in a hotwater bath, with jars completely covered by water for 10 minutes.
Makes 5- 8 ounce jars.

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Last night I made 7 quarts of sugar free strawberry jam. Not as pretty colored as the jam made from sugar but turned out really yummy and only about 10 calories per tablespoon. I used splenda and low/no sugar pectin.

Now I just need to find the time to do up another 30 or so lbs of berries that are in my freezer. We are also blueberry picking here and I need freezer space for blueberries before they are all gone. :weee

Latest posts