What did you can (freeze, dehydrate, preserve) today?

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Punkin, I used to make freezer tomato sauce, but it's been a long time. If you have time, would you share how you make yours? :)

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Today was 8 half-pints of sweet pickle relish and 12 pints of hamburger dill chips. LOLOL I've only got 8 feet of cucumber trellis this year and have picked about 30 pounds of cukes so far. Those guys better call it quits soon--I'm about out of Mrs. Wages!

:D

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tutter, I would love to share. I found this recipe on Razzle Dazzle Recipe's website. However, I did modify it a bit for my preferences.

FREEZER TOMATO SAUCE

20 tomatoes, washed, cored, cut in chunks. Place in large kettle with:

4 onions, chopped (4 cups)
4 large carrots, pared and shredded
1/2 cup chopped parsley (optional)
3 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. salt
3/4 tsp. pepper

Mix well. Slowly bring to boil stirring often. Lower heat and simmer 30 minutes (till thick) stirring often. Cool slightly. Measure 3 cups at a time. Blend in blender till sooth. Place in containers (1/2" headspace). Seal and freeze.

This is what I did differently:

Juiced my tomatoes with a juicer and did not use a blender. I like the shredded carrot and onion pieces left in. I did not use parsley, substituted Sweet N Low for sugar & Mrs. Dash for salt. I simmered for about an 1 1/2 and it really didn't thicken much. But, that's OK, cause I will just use it for soup anyway. I think the Mrs. Dash added the extra flavor. I put mine in like mayo jars that don't seal properly for canning and just screwed the bands and lids on. I doubled the recipe and ended up with 5 1/2 qts.

Hope you enjoy! :D

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you so much, that sounds really good!

The only thing I'd change, is not using jars. I have a fear of glass in the freezer after my uncle had one burst when he took it out (There was soup in it.) and he had a massive stroke from being cut. But I could use other containers easily.

I should have enough tomatoes to begin processing them soon, and this will definitely be something I'll try; thanks again! :happy_flower

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Gee I'm tired. I have cut up a bushel of cabbage into sauerkraut. Which is now sitting in my basement in a crock. Canned 6 pints of Indian Relish. Picked a gallon of blackberries today. Tomarrow I'll be hulling out a bushel of diago beans. Glad the tomatoes aren't ready yet.

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
12 pints of hamburger dill chips.
Rusty how do you get your dill pickles to stay crisp? I have tried so many different ways and mine still get soft. Any suggestions?
Anyone?

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just made 8 qts. of refrigerator pickles, and I froze a bunch of green beans. Things are moving a little more slowly here this year, but I'm sure the onslaught will come in a couple of weeks.

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm going in the morning to get 2 boxes of canning tomatoes. A lady has them for 12.50 a box, I just could not resist this even though I do have 22 mater plants but all of them are green.

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
coopy said:
12 pints of hamburger dill chips.
Rusty how do you get your dill pickles to stay crisp? I have tried so many different ways and mine still get soft. Any suggestions?
Anyone?
Do you use Alum, that is suppose to help them be crisp.

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yep I've used alum and pickle crisp. Doesn't work on mine. Don't know why I just can keep my dill pickles crisp. They taste good they just turn soft. Any other suggestions?

Latest posts