What did you can (freeze, dehydrate, preserve) today?

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
JanetnJim, thanks
that sounds like something I just might try. I am thinking that they are processed somehow, right?

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
rockytopsis said:
JanetnJim, thanks
that sounds like something I just might try. I am thinking that they are processed somehow, right?
Sorry Nancy, i left that part out.
Yes they are. In case you don't know this.
The jars are washed and then sterilized by boiling for 10 minutes. Try to fill your jars while they and your brine is still hot. Add you spices and garlic to the bottom of your jar then jam as many peppers that you can stuff in into your jars and VERY IMPORTANT..leave a half inch head space at the top of each jar. Carefully clean the lip of your jars before placing the caps and rings on because you will most certainly get oil from the peppers on them while stuffing the jars.
I then put my full jars into my pot rack while it's hangin in the pot and allow the jars to get warmer before submerging them to further prevent breakage.
Once the water comes back to a boil i then "cook" for 10 min for pints and 15 min for quarts.
After emoving them i let them sit undisturbed for 24 hours.
Of course Nancy, this recipe improves in taste with time. By that i mean allowing them to sit sealed for as long as you can stand to wait. lol Jist like pickles,more jar time is better flavor.
enjoy :rainbow-sun

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That sounds really great, I figured 10/15 minutes in bwb, but just wanted to be sure. I have some sweet banana and will try that with them and put a jalapano in there for heat. Should work, right?

redoak

Sprout
Reaction score
Canned 6 Quarts of stewed tomatoes, dehydrated a bunch of apples.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
rockytopsis said:
That sounds really great, I figured 10/15 minutes in bwb, but just wanted to be sure. I have some sweet banana and will try that with them and put a jalapano in there for heat. Should work, right?
I don't see why not Nancy. Annnnnd thanx for a great idea. We have like 932,367 lol sweet nanar peppers and i didn't know what i'm gonna do with 'em. Till now .

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Jist finished a few more pints o' red beets. Well, sort o' red & white lol. I left 'em in the re-heat jist a smidgey long. :lol:

chickaD

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I finally froze the last 7 lbs of blueberries, so we can add them to muffins, pancakes and cornbread (last winter's fun discovery). :p

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
chickaD said:
I finally froze the last 7 lbs of blueberries, so we can add them to muffins, pancakes and cornbread (last winter's fun discovery). :p
Homegrown blueberrie muffins and pampcakes ...DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Earlier, I did the green beans, corn, spinach, zucchini, first planting of beets, and some tomatoes, so the DH did the rest of the tomatoes I had picked, and boy, was he sorry!

Somehow we ordered the wrong variety of paste tomatoes this year, they're about half the size of the ones we've always had. Which means you have to handle twice as many tomatoes to get the same amount of sauce. He blanched, cooled, skinned, and cooked them down - he started at 8 am, worked nonstop except 20 min for lunch and half an hour to walk dogs, and didn't finish until 8:30 at night - and only got one pot of tomatoes filled and cooking!! Usually it takes about 2 hours to fill a pot. We won't have much tomato sauce in the freezer this year! And we'll be more careful to order the right thing in the future...but the catalog said they were paste tomatoes, and either didn't tell the size, or we didn't read it carefully enough.

Anyway, this week I'll be doing second-planting beets and spinach, the sprouts, and maybe some more green beans, though they've slowed down almost to stop!

I'll be making pumpkin pies and freezing some stewed pumpkin, too. I hope - boy do I wish I could retire!!!

luckyducky

Sprout
Reaction score
I got my wild plum jam done this weekend, and also made some tomato jam ( red tomato, not green). They are both very tasty, can't wait to give them for Christmas presents!

Latest posts