What Did You Cook and Eat From Your Garden Today?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Apple or Rhubarb Crisp/Strudel

3 1/4 Cup Flour
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 Cup Shortening
2 Egg Yolks (save whites)
Milk

1 1/2 Cup Corn Flakes, Special K, or Wheaties
15 - 20 medium Apples, peeled/sliced (about 3" deep)
1 Cup Sugar
1 tsp. Cinnamon

Frosting -1 Cup Powdered Sugar
2 T. Soft Butter
3-4 T. Milk

Combine Flour and Salt. Cut in Shortening well, until crumbly. Beat Egg Yolks in measuring cup and add Milk to equal 1 Cup. Mix well, and stir into flour mixture just until blended. Take 1/2 dough, kneed about 10 times on floured board. Roll out and put in ungreased jelly roll pan. Sprinkle with (cornflakes). Top with Apples. Combine Sugar and Cinnamon and sprinkle on Apples. Kneed and roll out remaining dough and put on top. Seal edges and cut a few slits in top. Beat egg whites until frothy and brush on crust.

Bake at 375 degrees for 45 - 50 minutes.
Done when apples are tender and crust is golden brown.

Combine 1 Cup Powdered Sugar and 2 T. soft butter. Add 3-4 T. Milk. Add more milk to 'drizzle' consistency. Drizzle on top when warm.

For Rhubarb - 2 C. Sugar
1/2 C. Flour
6 C. Rhubarb (cut in half inch pieces)
1 1/2 Cup Corn Flakes, Special K, or Wheaties
2 T. Butter
Mix Sugar and Flour. Put 1/2 Rhubarb in crust, top with 1/2 sugar/flour mixture. Repeat. Dot with butter. Add top crust, brush with egg whites, cut slits. Bake same as above.
(You can add more rhubarb if you like it thicker, but be sure to put foil under the pan when baking as it may bubble over.)

I use this crust recipe for pies also - easy and foolproof, even for me! :confused:

happy acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Put up some sauerkraut, and tomorrow I'll be making gumpkies (stuffed cabbage) . I'll post a picture when it's done. Couple of days ago I made pickled beets.

MIchael Hibberd

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My garden salad:

Little gem pickings, dandelion leaves, dabdelion petals, radish, spinach, turnip tops, spring onion and parsley (+dressing).

Attachments

• Salad.JPG
    Salad.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 194

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Picked 2 Yellow Pear tomatoes and 2 Tommy Toe tomatoes and put them in a salad. Sliced and fried 3 eggplant and mashed potatoes with a big slab of ham.

Latest posts