What Did You Cook and Eat From Your Garden Today?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Apple or Rhubarb Crisp/Strudel

3 1/4 Cup Flour
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 Cup Shortening
2 Egg Yolks (save whites)
Milk

1 1/2 Cup Corn Flakes, Special K, or Wheaties
15 - 20 medium Apples, peeled/sliced (about 3" deep)
1 Cup Sugar
1 tsp. Cinnamon

Frosting -1 Cup Powdered Sugar
2 T. Soft Butter
3-4 T. Milk

Combine Flour and Salt. Cut in Shortening well, until crumbly. Beat Egg Yolks in measuring cup and add Milk to equal 1 Cup. Mix well, and stir into flour mixture just until blended. Take 1/2 dough, kneed about 10 times on floured board. Roll out and put in ungreased jelly roll pan. Sprinkle with (cornflakes). Top with Apples. Combine Sugar and Cinnamon and sprinkle on Apples. Kneed and roll out remaining dough and put on top. Seal edges and cut a few slits in top. Beat egg whites until frothy and brush on crust.

Bake at 375 degrees for 45 - 50 minutes.
Done when apples are tender and crust is golden brown.

Combine 1 Cup Powdered Sugar and 2 T. soft butter. Add 3-4 T. Milk. Add more milk to 'drizzle' consistency. Drizzle on top when warm.

For Rhubarb - 2 C. Sugar
1/2 C. Flour
6 C. Rhubarb (cut in half inch pieces)
1 1/2 Cup Corn Flakes, Special K, or Wheaties
2 T. Butter
Mix Sugar and Flour. Put 1/2 Rhubarb in crust, top with 1/2 sugar/flour mixture. Repeat. Dot with butter. Add top crust, brush with egg whites, cut slits. Bake same as above.
(You can add more rhubarb if you like it thicker, but be sure to put foil under the pan when baking as it may bubble over.)

I use this crust recipe for pies also - easy and foolproof, even for me! :confused:
Thanks for the recipe. It sure looks GREAT.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Lavender2
I made your crisp recipe, but used homemade strawberry jam for the filling instead, everybody loved it. I had a little extra dough, so I took an extra small muffin pan and made some "blueberry bites" (the pastry crust filled with blueberry jelly and topped with the pastry crust). They were FANTASTIC, I have tried several crust recipes, and so far yours (plus a pinch of vanilla) is the only one I have really liked. :drool Sorry no pictures, it was eaten to fast. Next time I will make more blueberry, and try lemon curd, and cream cheese filled.;)

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did not get anything out of the garden today, but I have canned a mix of turnip tops and wild greens the past week. Its too wet to get in the garden for now. We need to pick the spinach.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Lavender2
I made your crisp recipe, but used homemade strawberry jam for the filling instead, everybody loved it. I had a little extra dough, so I took an extra small muffin pan and made some "blueberry bites" (the pastry crust filled with blueberry jelly and topped with the pastry crust). They were FANTASTIC, I have tried several crust recipes, and so far yours (plus a pinch of vanilla) is the only one I have really liked. :drool Sorry no pictures, it was eaten to fast. Next time I will make more blueberry, and try lemon curd, and cream cheese filled.;)

Great! Glad you liked it! And I was happy that the kids stopped over, so I didn't have to admit to eating half the pan myself!

It is my favorite crust also. Most pie crusts taste sour to me, or else just blah and dry. This recipe originally came from a chef at the cafeteria at 3M, sister-in-law used to work there.

I should have added to the recipe... we have also used blueberry pie filling, and now I want to try blueberry/cream cheese! YUM!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night I picked 2 Japanese eggplant, sliced them and then realized I had no cornmeal to roll the slices in for frying. :hit What to do.....I got a can of Progresso tomato soup and smeared a little in the bottom of a pyrex baking dish. I put a layer of eggplant slices, topped with mozzarella cheese, another layer of eggplant, the rest of the soup and baked at 350 for 40 minutes. I topped with more cheese, popped it back in the oven and turned it off. There was enough heat to melt the cheese.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night I picked 2 Japanese eggplant, sliced them and then realized I had no cornmeal to roll the slices in for frying. :hit What to do.....I got a can of Progresso tomato soup and smeared a little in the bottom of a pyrex baking dish. I put a layer of eggplant slices, topped with mozzarella cheese, another layer of eggplant, the rest of the soup and baked at 350 for 40 minutes. I topped with more cheese, popped it back in the oven and turned it off. There was enough heat to melt the cheese.
And...how did it taste?

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Gypsy and I went for a 'frolic' in the black raspberry brambles. Gypsy made her first batch of black raspberry jell with the berries we picked. I haven't downloaded the photos yet, but they look delicious!

Because of the holiday, we had our Friday sleep over on Saturday. Sunday we had Belgium waffles with our strawberries. Then Maverick and I played a few games of pool while we waited for Gypsy to wake up.

Gypsy and I stained more spindles on the deck. We worked well together and got a lot of work done on the project. Then we went out to pick black raspberries. Even though we both sprayed for mosquitoes, she missed a few spots and the buzzing monsters kept us from picking all the woods. Still, we got enough berries for Gypsy to made her first batch of black raspberry jelly.

For the last few months, it seemed our Friday sleepovers were too short. They arrived late in the day Friday and had to be home early Saturday morning either for skating lessons or to help Mom with their Farmers' Market stand. Today we managed the whole day. I really enjoyed having them longer. They are growing up so quickly! Soon they will be too busy with their lives to spend time with their grandma and grandpa. I want to treasure every moment and make as many memories as we can before they are too busy for me.

Latest posts