What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cutting asparagus daily and lettuce and spinach.
Lettuce? You must have started that very early.

Spinach? I just gotta try overwintering spinach!

I have orach! Unfortunately, the Purple is nearly all in the compost this year. It really is big enough to harvest and has to be, the pile must be accepting new additions. (Late winter compost was buried in what will be a summer basil bed.)

Red orach will be along shortly. The volunteers are all in the shade, however. I don't think it likes it there but my transplants into the full-sun potato bed are not at all happy with our record HOT weather!

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Fixing my 2 big gardening problems:
1) weeds
2) horse and chicken cleanup
Wherever I see that the soil looks like clay and I have a lot of weeds, I have begun both tilling it and dumping fresh stall leavings on top. This both buys me time to put in grass/pasture and makes the soil better. Doesn't matter to me to have patches of used bedding and manure in my yard. I can wait until NEXT year to put in grass seed. I also tilled where we chopped down two blue spruce that the previous owner had planted in the wrong place, and they were overgrowing my driveways.
I threw out wildflower seeds where the pine trees had been and I'll buy more to fill the space. Again, NEXT year I'll figure out what to put there.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Will try to get some today or tomorrow. They were abandoned under someone's house by the mama...likely mama was killed, I'd say. I knew this gal from high school and she apparently hasn't changed one iota...she was a liar back then and she's still yet a liar.

I was told they were all males, weaned and eating tuna... :smack these were not weaned kittens, so I've been having to bottle feed and then teach them to drink from a bowl, also having to stimulate bowel and bladder functions. :sick

I only wanted two, but was suckered into taking the spare because "he would be all alone" if I took the brothers. Guess what? The spare is a female. :rolleyes: :he

Moses, Trio and Mooch aka Runt. And I have a family vacation next week, so guess who has to take along a box full of mewling kittens? :th What was I thinking??????

Well....I wanted kittens and now I've gotten them. For better or worse. :)

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I mixed several batches of soil to pot the tomatoes for the greenhouse and up pot several olive and fig trees, now I ache all over.:rolleyes:
jackb
Autopots.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I mixed several batches of soil ... now I ache all over.
Screening top soil, compost, etc. - a wheelbarrow full would take me 40 minutes. That was the end of me walking the The Mile, indoors or out!

I figured a few things were going on. One, that it was no problem for me to get my heart rate up to 110. Two, if I did 3 batches with the same pair of gloves, I'd wear holes in them.

The exercise was probably a good thing. And, a short piece of board is cheaper to wear down than a pair of gloves ...

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally got something planted in the garden. . . potatoes leftover from last fall and forgotten in a heavy box. I started digging holes for the spuds then noticed all the tiny grasses starting to grow everywhere. Ended up overturning the whole bed before planting the potatoes. Hopefully I've disrupted some of the minuscule grasses life cycle.

Perhaps it was a good thing that I waited for rain before planting anything. The problem with grasses is that, unless you get every part of the root, the plants will start growing again. At least a goodly number of thin filaments of white grass strands dried out in the sun and wind today.

Not in the garden, but I up-planted another 50 seedlings. All the transplanted plants are outside getting used to fresh air and sunlight. These newest ones will join them tomorrow for a short time.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bless you Bee, poor things, bet you saved their lives.If you can get goats milk,they will grow quicky.

Don't know of any goat's milk in these parts, but have been giving condensed milk. I read to fortify it with a raw egg but that seemed to make it too rich, so might give just a little of that next time. My eggs are super charged eggs, so it could be that those pale, icky eggs from the store don't have the same oomph and would be alright.

They seem to be doing good, even in these cooler nights and I've managed to get bowels and bladders evacuated appropriately. They are crying much, much less than when they first arrived, so I take that as a good sign. Very strong and active thus far...IME, kittens are pretty hardy things.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The tomato seedlings were beginning to topple over in their 3" pots so I up potted them. We still have several weeks before they can go into the ground, with frost possible this week. As usual I got carried away with starting seeds, so many of these plants will be orphans that I need to find a good home for.

uppot.jpg

Latest posts