What Did You Do In The Garden?

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have peppers on one of my plants but I'm not sure what kind until they get bigger or I eat them. Potatoes are dying back. I still need to replant my squash. I think I only have one yellow crookneck and one zucchini. Definitely not enough. I have maybe six cucumber plants here and there. Really just where ever I had a spot open. I need to mulch the garden. The weeds have pretty much took over. It's my tiny little jungle.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have now planted cakes 3X. Eventually, they have to come up....

Planted some cabbage seeds. Wife pulled them out as she just pulled grass...... oh joy. & she wonders what I want her to stay out of garden....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have peppers on one of my plants but I'm not sure what kind until they get bigger or I eat them
That reminds me of growing jalapeno and "fooled you" jalapenos together. I won't be doing that again!!!

Tilled the corn and cucumbers. Got posts and some string on almost half the dahlias.

DW said that I need to spray the tomatoes for potato bugs but I don't see the problem. Found two. I know that I don't want to spend days with repeated searches like I did with the spuds so I may be spraying them soon.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Wrong timing but I direct seeded cabbage. It will need to be tough, we're having a heat wave next week. I'm sweating already. :( But it was a now or never, do or die thing.
If you can DON'T water your cabbage. When I planted my beet bed I didn't water it. I let it get rained on first bc I knew that if I watered the seeds they would dry out and die. If you let the weather water your cabbage and THEN step in and water afterwards, the seeds will come up in wet soil. Also, if you can shade them, do so. I planted my purchased cabbage in the shade of some arbor vitae that will be gone next year but are shading out part of my garden. They get 6 hours straight sun and then indirect sun and shade the rest of the day.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine are too, but this is my first potato bed. Can I take one potato from each plant harvest and replant?
I was very interested in trying this one year. I'd read of gardeners in a southern state growing two crops of potatoes (spring and fall). Early varieties are supposed to only need about the right amount of time to fit in my growing season - I thought. It was early in my potato growing experience or I'd just have gone with knowing what happens with volunteers; those from tubers that I almost invariably miss in my potato harvest.

For me, those plants make an inconsequential number of tiny tubers by fall. Or, they somehow will survive a mild winter and appear in the spring.
Also, if you can shade them, do so.
I've wondered about that! My best cabbage are growing on the south side of a large wild plum tree.

Okay, you are thinking, they are getting plenty of sun. Yes, they are. However, our sun rises in the northeast and sets in the northwest at this time of year. They are being cut off from about 3 hours of sunlight that the plants further out in the garden have.

Prevailing winds are not from the north so I'm not sure how the plants are being protected that way.

Kale is also in that bed and doing better than elsewhere. It's suddenly too hot with lots of intense sunlight and those plants obviously like being close to that plum tree.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you can DON'T water your cabbage. When I planted my beet bed I didn't water it. I let it get rained on first bc I knew that if I watered the seeds they would dry out and die. If you let the weather water your cabbage and THEN step in and water afterwards, the seeds will come up in wet soil. Also, if you can shade them, do so. I planted my purchased cabbage in the shade of some arbor vitae that will be gone next year but are shading out part of my garden. They get 6 hours straight sun and then indirect sun and shade the rest of the day.

Our climate is a bit different...if you don't water you're in for a mighty long wait.

Latest posts