What Did You Do In The Garden?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today, weeded, weeded, weeded. Down to couple spots and then ready to be strayed down.

Replanted carrots as first batch was sacrificed to weeds. I just killed all. Made a pile of weeds between rows about 10" high-they were nasty. Also planted some radishes and honey dew. Transplanted some Romaine lettuce starts. See if they form loose heads.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pulled out another wilted cuke vine today. I have planted all new cuke seeds now...we'll see if they survive the hoards of bugs. Also planted a few sugar snap peas today. Sprinkled crushed egg shells around the tomatoes.

Weeded, watered and suckered tomatoes at my son's garden. His garden has NO pest bugs, so everything is lovely, lush, growing wonderfully and his flowers make mine look like rags. Must get pics over there.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Weeded, weeded, mulched, weeded and mulched. And still a bit of a jungle out there! Crushed some bugs (cucumber and potato beetles).
Picked a decent amount of peas. Strawberries finally slowing down a little. Yesterday's batch we are trying out drying. We already froze a lot and made jam, plus we eat massive quantities each day.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I didn't do much as we rained a bit today, but finally got out there to weed, weave some tomatoes through the CP trellis and sucker a few.

It's amazing to me how quickly weeds grow, right next to vegetables that don't grow nearly as quick...just doesn't seem right, does it?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
ON the 4th I spent 3 hours sawing burdock and mowing before our company arrived. TOTALLY dead by 8:30PM but I made 2 perfect pies, and cherry and a coconut cream. Today I stayed home to do more in the yard. I was going to pick up all of the burdock piles, but instead I chopped down all of the weeds and the massive overgrowth of black raspberry vines attached of COURSE to bindweed. I got all that I cut today out to the north pasture burn pile, full of 2016 brush. I also fixed the John Deere riding mower that was sputtering when DH was mowing on Sunday. All it wanted was an oil change! I emptied the used oil on my inner sanctum burn pile to juice it up. Hopefully the rain that has been promised for 4 days will get here tonight.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had stakes home from the building supply by 9am and since Buddy the dog was in the backyard, I knew that my neighbor thru the back fence was up. Went over to build dahlia trellis.

At some point, I stopped and mowed the front lawn but by 12:30, I couldn't take any more heat and went in ... where I had to get the air conditioner installed and fired up.

With lunch, I feel asleep. Time passed quickly but I was back at that trellis by 7pm for another 2 hours. Can't believe it is taking me so long!! But, only two of the 6 beds are a match. Every path is different. Only 3 path are comfortably wide. The others are excruciatingly narrow. One isn't even straight!!

I still haven't finished with the first layer of string. I'm down to the quick part ... I might have thought that when I began this morning ... before all the stumbling and staggering around! If anyone should be allowed a lame excuse, I fill the bill.

digitS', toeing the lines

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pulled out another wilted cuke vine today. I have planted all new cuke seeds now...we'll see if they survive the hoards of bugs. Also planted a few sugar snap peas today. Sprinkled crushed egg shells around the tomatoes.

Weeded, watered and suckered tomatoes at my son's garden. His garden has NO pest bugs, so everything is lovely, lush, growing wonderfully and his flowers make mine look like rags. Must get pics over there.
How far away is his garden from yours? Why do you think he has no bugs and you do?

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
How far away is his garden from yours? Why do you think he has no bugs and you do?

Mary

20+ miles away and I think, since there are no other gardens at all in his neighborhood....none, no veggie gardens at all, that there are fewer pest bugs drawn to the area. Joel's never had a garden there before his was established, so he's enjoying that lovely time of rich soils, few pests.

My neighbor has gardens that are regularly eaten up with bugs and overgrown with weeds and that's just a few hundred yards away from ours as the crow flies, so I think we get to share in the bugs attracted to specific veggies. Plus, we have gardened for 25 yrs on this same plot, so the bugs breed, have their larva in this soil and the cycle gets to repeat.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've had downpours today and yesterday. Everything is growing at amazing speed. Still have some weeds to kill, but I'll have to wait for it to dry. Picked some very robust purslane from the perimeter (where the hoop coop had sat through the winter) and had it in our salad for dinner tonight. DH never noticed, lol.
20170706_204813.jpg