What Did You Do In The Garden?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
My garden is over run with that weed.

I hope I'm gaining as I weed and now put a layer of straw between rows. It's been a long, hard spring...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love purslane, but have never eaten it. Every time it grows in my beds I leave it, along with clover, bc they both fix nitrogen in the soil. What does it taste like?
I would say tart and lemony? It's hard to describe. My grandmother always cooked it with pork meat and tomato sauce.

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
This morning it took 6 tow wagons to move the burdock I had cut last weekend and on the 4th. All now out on top of my 2016 brush pile, waiting to be burned. Just one more section of North Pasture fence and then I tackle the turnout behind the barn and the fencelines in the South Pasture. When I cleared on the south side of my garage I discovered 2 mums and the small pine tree to be a future Christmas tree. So, I watered them all this morning.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pulled the garlic and it looks like the best garlic I ever grew, but I think it has nothing to do with what I did and that for the first time I got to the coop right after they got the garlic in and I picked nice big bulbs, where normally I am going through the last of the garlic and getting only small bulbs. I have been freezing some kale and eating it and giving some to DD. Also eating collards and DD taking some home. I brought in the first cabbage and made coleslaw today. The tomatoes look really good. I am trying to decide should I pick all the collards, kale and cabbage now? I usually wait until fall and lose half of my kale to bugs and most of the cabbage is ready. I can leave some small to have coleslaw and freeze the rest. I am not sure I will have time to make sauerkraut. I see the white butterflies circling and the kale and collards are so tender right now. Should I leave the center leaves of the kale and not pull the plants? I have little peppers I can pick tomorrow, like banana peppers. The plants are still small. My basil does not look good. The squash and cucumbers have a lot of flowers. Some of the potatoes look really good. I just weed as much as I can to keep things under control. It is so hot.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are early and late varieties of cabbage but kale just goes on and on, @Gardening with Rabbits . I learned to harvest continuously rather than wait for frosts to tenderize huge, old leaves. I was not much of a user of kale with that approach.

Some desperately old cabbage starts went in the ground under the pole bean teepees. We will see how that works. They were seriously root-bound.

The cucumber vines produced their first 2 cukes! Of course, they were eaten immediately :).

I need to get out there with more fertilizer for the sweet corn. Some tassels are showing up.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My cabbage is on the south side of a plum tree, native plum it is called.
What??

The plum beside my garden is a Klamath plum. It shouldn't be there ... Hundreds of miles too far north, it is covered with blooms but has only a handful of fruit. I think it responds to daylength but the flowers freeze at a critical stage. There was a windstorm that really tore it up several years ago but it is doing okay and looks just fine from a distance.

And, here I thought it was another Mountain Cottontail sharing my garden space ...

;) Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Started weeding-again-got onions and watermelons done in AM. Planted about 100+ starts, salvaged about 30. Dang grass took them.

Then weeded south border, then transplanted 4 O'clocks. Finally re-weeded the grass out of butterfly garden. With all this rain, grass restarts overnight.

My sweetcorn is about 2' tall and starting to tassel. Can't be good.