What Did You Do In The Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
The Wampanoag Indians (Pilgrims, Massachusetts Bay) used to work fish into the soil before planting--reminded me of that.
This morning short t storm w/ lightening, but I managed to plant my cucumber seeds, put up the raised bed sides (only 3 needed) for the brussels sprouts bed and planted the seeds, planted extra lima beans in the small bed, planted gladiolas (though they may have all dried out too much...we'll see) & lima beans along the tomato fence. Transplanted lettuces that I dug up on the new tomato bed, about 1 dozen of them and watered them in. They are almost directly under the arbor vitae (7 ft tall) that will be moved this fall, so plenty of shade. Supposed to be t storms all evening and into the night, so I really didn't need to water anything else.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tilled between the second planting of sweet corn and the path for the sprinkler pipe.

Had intended to spray the weeds along the periphery of the flower garden but it was too windy. I might have to do something about the thistles in the neighbor's field. He had it tilled, they sprang up. He went in with his rototiller. They are back as bad as before. I think I can stop them from blooming but IF another week passes about 300 square feet of thistles will bloom, mostly downwind. It looks like they are crowding out the other weeds ... of course, there are other weeds, elsewhere o_O.

Anyway, the periphery of the dahlias, etc. was tilled instead of sprayed, today. Got posts up for the gladiolas but had forgotten to bring the string :rolleyes:. Some of those will soon bloom.

The first sowing of snap peas was taken out and bush beans planted. Took some pictures of the peppers and eggplant ;).

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Transplanted 8 more tomatoes, 4 of which (Romas) had fruit. Sawed down burdock growing in bad places in the Inner Sanctum(fenced in area in front of the barn, and where I have my firepit with the cement pavers). Tomorrow morning I intend to saw down the rest of the south fence of the North Pasture. Kept the horses out but I'll let them out on it tomorrow. I thought that my gladiolas were dried out, but then spotted them growing where I planted in another bed 2 weeks ago, so I guess they are alive. I bought a package of 30 assorted.
Now that Photobucket is unusable I'll need to figure out how to post pictures directly from my computer. Wish me luck.