What Did You Do In The Garden?

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I used to put a fish head in each tomatoe hole but they got too expensive. They used to be .50. Last time I checked they were around $2.49. They were big salmon heads.

Mary

I was watching a gardening video the other day. They would dig holes where they were going to plant their tomatoes, cabbage, squash what have you, and put whole fish in the hole. They covered the fish with garden lime to keep them from smelling then covered them back up with dirt and then planted their veggies. They grew like crazy! They fished a lot and would save the small fish for this purpose.

I've used fish emulsion. It helps, but sure does smell. I put it around my blueberry bushes and my daughters dog dug one up trying to get to the "fish". :(

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Drank wine with my nephews girlfriend under shade of umbrella while nephew weed wacked all along water edge. Then watched him take a part and clean lion fountain. A relaxing day in garden.
This is what I do when I get hay delivered and pay help to put it up in the loft. I handle the Gaterade and try not to sit in a chair while they sweat. :rolleyes:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Ducks I always feel like I need a nap after reading your posts here. Girl you work hard !!!!
Thanks for the support. :love I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE it when I finally find the time to ride/train and I have to spend an hour cleaning burrs our of manes and tails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant:rant:somad
Made more progress yesterday. It is hard to only attack one weed, but I locked the horses out in the north pasture with the small water tank--they had some shade--and drew an imaginery line and cut 1/3 of the 2nd year burdock turnout behind the barn. Pulled DH out to drive the riding mower + tow wagon and we moved 6 loads out to the burn pile. Don't mind mowing in the same area, but horses are Really bad about mouthing things and they don't mix with electric cords. Btw, I prefer my tools plugged in. More power that way.
Every pasture is better than last year and the year before. They say, get the weeds before they go to seed. The burrs are starting to come out, so I have another week to attack where they wander. I'll be home tomorrow and Wednesday and I should be able to clear out the rest of the behind the barn turnout in the next two work days. DH has promised to keep it mowed and short.
Tomorrow I use my bag mower to clean up the rest of the weeds in the area I cleared bc THEY are going to seed, too.
I REALLY appreciate all of your support!!! I'm feeling like I am working all of my riding muscles running my reciprocating saw to death!!! (Good thing I have another warranty on this one.)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since horses won't eat burdock (believe you typed that) why didn't you just use chemicals and kill them? 1-2 hours and all are dead.

Latest posts