What Did You Do In The Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You KNOW you are working hard when your face is dripping! I tilled up and tilled in compost on the south side of the garage and planted sweet corn and indian corn as filler. It looks like rain, so I'll add some beans and squash just for fun. Don't expect to really harvest there but I have the seeds.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Home again today---not many loan jobs this week. I'm off to cut more burdock and prep the area and plant tomatoes today!! ...in the 94 degree high and humid heat!!!! :hitStorms yesterday, storms tomorrow, no rain today.
I'll turn on the AC before I start.
Wish me luck!!! :thumbsup

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Picked off bugs, suckered maters and wove them through the CP trellis, pulled some weeds here and there. Picked some strawberries, checked over plants for bug problems.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally cleared the west side of the old cattle fence by the street about 1/3 down, dug out weeds, mowed (went to be burned bc of the weeds), cut down suckers by the maple tree SE of the garage and the tree of paradise growing at the bottom, cut down the suckers by the ash tree stump, cut down the tree of paradise by the garage and the one burdock growing there, tilled by the cattle fence and planted...4 of my at LEAST 50 tomato plants in 8 inch deep holes dug by my fence auger. Tomorrow I mow/mulch short burdock to put around the jalepano peppers and the tomatoes. I lay down the burdock mulch about 4 inches thick and it has REALLY made a difference. NO WEEDS, except any I missed and didn't completely pull out! I also sprinkle Preen right around the vegetable plants so that nothing is growing in their roots. THAT has worked too.
Tilled in front of them, tilled where the brussels sprouts will be started this weekend, if not sooner, tilled where I had plastic suppress the weeds so that I can start cucumbers, and mowed around the beet bed and gave it to the chickens. We had a t storm today for 15 minutes and then a lightening scare, so I spent 2 hours inside. Not exactly scared of lightening, just cautious when working outside with metal tools. The vegetation killed killed this bush I didn't like this Spring, so I will be applying it to the saplings and some of their rather large living stumps on the east side of the old cattle fence, most are there and not on the other side. Why tomatoes there? I can tie them to the fence as they grow. This weekend the gladiolas and the garden beans go in right next to the fence. Yep...honestly tired.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Me too! :D Exhausting just reading it!

Mama tried the Fortex beans last night and gave them a "meh" rating. Said no bean beats the flavor of a half runner. Guess I'll be planting half runners again next season, but I still want to plant some of these Fortex beans...they are so vigorous and productive that I can't imagine not planting a few.

Latest posts