What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. The neighbors turned their rabbits loose and moved away. Some have died over the years and I think one is about 7 years old now. I have a feeling I will never be without rabbits.

But, you have a way to keep them out of the garden now, right?

i just don't like noise in general. so it was very easy for me to switch away from tilling
Me either. I also don't like being jerked around by things. Even if the going is good, a couple hours of tilling will leave me sore and stooped.

Green Machine for cultivating
I'm not sure what that is, Annette. The tiller attachment for a weed whacker?

I have one of those for a gas-powered. It works about as well as the little tiller. However, it is heavy. I don't know if I should suggest one for @Gardening with Rabbits .

Steve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Me either. I also don't like being jerked around by things. Even if the going is good, a couple hours of tilling will leave me sore and stooped.

I'm not sure what that is, Annette. The tiller attachment for a weed whacker?

I have one of those for a gas-powered. It works about as well as the little tiller. However, it is heavy. I don't know if I should suggest one for @Gardening with Rabbits .
Steve

It has two little L shaped? blades that move back and forth.

Annette

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score

Steve

Yes, they stay in a hutch but I have a pen I let them out in ONE at a time sometimes and they like to dig and eat grass. I agree, I would not use a heavy tiller.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is funny. I would not have imagined. I just assumed you kept them and bred them. I have two bucks we got for free and they drive me nuts. My sister knew someone giving them away and I was still sad over losing our sweet little American Lop that my soft head got the best of me. I am glad for the manure, but they are so gross the kids can't even pick them up. They've run with the chickens in their fenced yard all summer and now it's time to put them back in the hutch where they pee all over each other. :sick I fear they will live forever! Couldn't pass them off on someone else in good conscience....

I have mine where they are separated. I can't even put 2 females out in a pen for exercise together, they will fight. They each have their own space in the hutch. I put plastic around the bottom and on sides in the winter. He is standing on a solid board, and behind him is wire to the back wall.
Hot Shot 7.jpg
The little hole in the back wall, they each have a box back there. It was meant to sleep and be warm, but some use for a liter box and others use the wire. Then, I have a pen but most of them are hard to catch and just sit and do nothing, but some enjoy it, but I only put them out if the weather is nice or I have time.
Cream 1.jpg

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I spread rabbit manure on the raised bed. I have a barrel of old rotten bedding that is about a year old. It was too heavy for me to lift and put on the compost bin, and I kind of forget it. It has some old hay on top that sprouted and I took that off to see what was in the barrel and it is composted down pine shavings, rabbit manure, stray and hay. I put some of that on the raised bed. It already has leaves and I had a bucket of rabbit manure tea I never put on the garden last year, so I poured that on top and some wood ash. I will have DS help me drag that barrel out to the garden and dump it and spread it out. When it stops snowing I will get some compost and put on top of this rabbit manure and then next spring turn the dirt and be ready to plant.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I spread rabbit manure on the raised bed. I have a barrel of old rotten bedding that is about a year old. It was too heavy for me to lift and put on the compost bin, and I kind of forget it. It has some old hay on top that sprouted and I took that off to see what was in the barrel and it is composted down pine shavings, rabbit manure, stray and hay. I put some of that on the raised bed. It already has leaves and I had a bucket of rabbit manure tea I never put on the garden last year, so I poured that on top and some wood ash. I will have DS help me drag that barrel out to the garden and dump it and spread it out. When it stops snowing I will get some compost and put on top of this rabbit manure and then next spring turn the dirt and be ready to plant.

Now that sound a recipe for some good growing:).

Annette

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have mine where they are separated. I can't even put 2 females out in a pen for exercise together, they will fight. They each have their own space in the hutch. I put plastic around the bottom and on sides in the winter. He is standing on a solid board, and behind him is wire to the back wall. View attachment 22715 The little hole in the back wall, they each have a box back there. It was meant to sleep and be warm, but some use for a liter box and others use the wire. Then, I have a pen but most of them are hard to catch and just sit and do nothing, but some enjoy it, but I only put them out if the weather is nice or I have time. View attachment 22713

Looks like the second bunny has some Belgium Hare in it, look at the length of the ears, right color too.

Annette