What Did You Do In The Garden?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny thing Steve German Shepherds are the biggest babies, but nothing beats them for protecting their families. Several years ago I had clients that wanted a German Shepherd. I put them in touch with AKC top breeder of the year. they bought a male puppy for $4,000. About 6 months later their house keeper shows up with dog and says they don't want anymore and dumped the puppy on me. I did not want him to become a " Junkyard watchdog" I wanted a family home. Took me almost a year to find one. Another client lost her homeowners insurance when they found out she had one.

She should call State Farm. They do not discriminate against breed. Only one that doesn't, as far as I am aware.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
DS and I got the rabbit hutch ready for winter. We put plastic around the bottom, sides and have it on the doors and able to take it down when nicer weather or even just part way. Took us almost 2 hours out in the snow. Every year we say we are not going to wait until it is cold and every year we are either in rain or snow and finishing in the dark.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
DS and I got the rabbit hutch ready for winter. We put plastic around the bottom, sides and have it on the doors and able to take it down when nicer weather or even just part way. Took us almost 2 hours out in the snow. Every year we say we are not going to wait until it is cold and every year we are either in rain or snow and finishing in the dark.

That's what I did today too, getting my bunnies ready for winter. They ran with the chickens all summer. I got the hutch set up and transferred them to it. Had everybody on an automatic waterer for summer. Back to hauling water again now. :p

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Before:
https://imgur.com/WjQeB87

After:
https://imgur.com/YpdLy7u

We ripped out alot of the old plants and heavenly bamboo that was mostly covering the huge single pane windows. Hubs built that overhead trellis thingie and the slate covered fountain thingie. It will have a recirculating pump that will dribble water down the slate into a plastic tub. I did save alot of the old plants and put some of them back and some elsewhere. After this pic we put down medium bark to try to reduce the amount of mud that comes into the house from the pets.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
That's what I did today too, getting my bunnies ready for winter. They ran with the chickens all summer. I got the hutch set up and transferred them to it. Had everybody on an automatic waterer for summer. Back to hauling water again now. :p
If you can you should till and strip the run and pile it up (outside). NOTHING BETTER than chicken/rabbit poo for the garden!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Before:
https://imgur.com/WjQeB87

After:
https://imgur.com/YpdLy7u

We ripped out alot of the old plants and heavenly bamboo that was mostly covering the huge single pane windows. Hubs built that overhead trellis thingie and the slate covered fountain thingie. It will have a recirculating pump that will dribble water down the slate into a plastic tub. I did save alot of the old plants and put some of them back and some elsewhere. After this pic we put down medium bark to try to reduce the amount of mud that comes into the house from the pets.

Big improvement Murphysranch! The layout makes a lot more sense now. I see you saved the Hinoki cypress and the little Japanese maple, good call. Those are nice.
I know what a lot of work that kind of reno is, you done good!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last winter i bought Harvey a heated water bottle. We had the warmest winter I can remember

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
So that is what its called. They are quite popular here, and that one was very sun damaged. I hope by placing it back a ways, it recovers. The japanese maple was buried in its original pot, perhaps to keep it very dwarf. I had hubs cut away all the plastic and then planted it again. All of these plants were out of their normal spaces for about a month or so, and I didn't lose any of them!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you can you should till and strip the run and pile it up (outside). NOTHING BETTER than chicken/rabbit poo for the garden!!

They were on "pasture", aka, yard, surrounding a few of my fruit trees. Hopefully it will soak in! The bunnies made worse potholes in the yard than the chickens ever had, so I think I probably will till and reseed next spring.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
This morning I dug up tender annuals (impatiens and wax begonias) and potted for indoors this winter, all white flowers.
Yesterday, DH didn't want to share his car--STILL need to locally list my truck!!! :hit--and he told me to drive my truck to my closing. SO, I went shopping afterwards. I bought fine pine shavings, Equine Fresh, and sweet feed AND dog food, and two brand 12 packs of pints for canning the first time with my pressure canner.
The other truck, which has shavings and Equine Fresh still needs to be unloaded, but I made space in my grain room for the Equine Fresh from THIS load.
I laid down a 4 x 4 plywood board so the bags wouldn't sit directly on the floor, 7 bags stacked, 13 bags to go.
Outside of the grain room I laid down 2 particle boards (from a single bed, now burned) and stacked 18 packages of fine pine shavings, 12 more to go.
I unloaded 13 bags of (now) 55 lb packages of sweet feed. Filled all of my sweet feed cans.
Should be good on sweet feed for 4 months, maybe 5.
Should be good on stall bedding (bc I also have 48/50 bales of straw that I bought) through January (for Equine Fresh), and through February for the shavings, and through March for sweet feed.
I FIGURED that:
--I had the truck in town already
--The weather and the roads were good.
You NEVER KNOW if you will have to buy supplies when there is ice and slush and are bad conditions.
Feeling proud of myself for not waiting until the last minute on this. :woot

Latest posts