What Did You Do In The Garden?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like the second bunny has some Belgium Hare in it, look at the length of the ears, right color too.

Annette

That is just an odd picture of him. I was trying to show the hutch and he was about 5 months old there. Here is a picture when he was older. He does not look as yellow in this picture, but it is him. DS named him cream. the picture of his head up close shows his yellow color.
Cream 1.jpg
The man that owned them got them from a woman who owned the house across from me. She told me that her boyfriend had 2 Flemish Giants and felt sorry for them and so turned them loose. This was in a different town, but the 2 turned into I have no idea how many. Sounded like a hundred. The first rabbits in the house across from me looked like Flemish Giants and then he gave all of them away except one and then decided to get more rabbits and showed up with 4 babies. I am not sure if he got them from the same place as the first ones or bred one of the Flemish Giants to something else. The one with the weed in her mouth is Lulu. She is the mother of the one at top in the pen, and most likely Cream's sister, at least they were all the same age and together when I got them.
April 30 Lulu.jpg
Cream 6.jpg

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bad thing about city living is neighbors can see right in to your backyard. I was at a a party at a neighbors house when another neighbor I call Archie Bunker says in a very loud voice A grown man has a pet bunny isn't that sweet. The room got very quite, I replied he not a pet but a working animal, his job is to make fertilizer. No one gardens so now I am just a little stranger in their eyes, not that I care.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Alex, it's my guess when those words were uttered from his mouth he went down a notch in the minds of the other guests. He was showing just how much of an a$$ he really is. Unfortunately we've all had to deal with people like that, If I was hosting that party he would automatically get removed from my future guest lists. I have no use for people like that.

Annette

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
The beauty of the little rundown town that I now live in is that there are only a couple of nasty people that live here and NONE of them live on my side of town. Still, it's always good to own a good watchdog, like my Pyg, who doesn't make friends easily.
The other day I had to drive home, retrieve Pyg and drive back to DD's house (12 minutes away). It was dark and I saw a couple petting my 3 horses over the fence. I told them their names and that they didn't need to visit the horses in the dark!
Very friendly, yes, maam, no, maam.
Don't know exactly where they live in town, just that their kids have stupid names for my horses, "Blackie" ("Long Arm of the Law", aka "Sweet Cup and Cake"), "Brownie" ("Buster Brown",) and "Red" ("Warren Cindy" aka "Cindy Lou Who".)
Don't care, I'll take that over the neighbors we used to have before we moved, nasty and not friendly.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You probably have a better philosophy in your signature, @Nyboy .

But, with the snarling Doberman (I have actually shared info on TEG about my neighbor's dogs) The Best Revenge Is To Outlive Your Enemies ;). Yeah, they put the Doberman down recently.

The odd thing is that I get along with the human neighbor just fine. Her dogs are very defensive and I don't think that they are trained in much of any way, whatsoever. She's lived there long enuf that I've outlived the sleddog and now, the Doberman. Gotta get past the German Shepherd ... but, it won't be "getting past" it in the neighbor's backyard.

I wonder if the old lady realizes that she is vulnerable in more ways than a home invasion, or a little kid who shows up over there. If the paramedics have to come in some day, it might be with the police shooting the dang dogs. I would say not my problem but ...

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
My dog is NOT unapproachable. Sensitive dog people have NO PROBLEM with her. But, she does scare off the UPS guy!
People don't realize the value of spending time training your dogs. Pyg is naturally NOT friendly. We found her in a litter of seven 8 week old puppies, HARDLY long enough to abuse a puppy into hating people and she certainly did NOT growl at me when I grabbed her.
She DOES listen to vocal instructions IN ENGLISH.
I really need to get another dog soon to get her to help raise it, since she will be turning 10yo soon, although she still runs and plays, just slower than she was at 3yo. I have been hesitating bc she doesn't like other dogs, either. DH has been instructed that the puppy will be "his" and he is lavish attention on it so that Pyg isn't jealous and frightened of being replaced. Dogs DO think this way. There is a difference between the growl that says "don't touch my food/belongings" and one that says "I am jealous." New dog people really think it's too easy to manage raising/training a dog correctly.
It's the same with horses. You have to respect the herd/pack leader and not interfere and KNOW how to keep the drama in the herd/pack down to a minimum but not interfering when it is harmful.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny thing Steve German Shepherds are the biggest babies, but nothing beats them for protecting their families. Several years ago I had clients that wanted a German Shepherd. I put them in touch with AKC top breeder of the year. they bought a male puppy for $4,000. About 6 months later their house keeper shows up with dog and says they don't want anymore and dumped the puppy on me. I did not want him to become a " Junkyard watchdog" I wanted a family home. Took me almost a year to find one. Another client lost her homeowners insurance when they found out she had one.

Latest posts