What Did You Do In The Garden?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom how is sweet summer doing for you ? mine died

You need another!
The one I planted on the east side by my front door struggled for 2 years because of the grasshoppers defoliating it. I finally got a clue last year and baited them. After that it bloomed nicely.
The one I planted in the back on the blueberry fence grew amazingly right from the start and is loaded with blooms in the summer. It's in full sun.

I hope it does as well in it's new spot.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We are moving stuff around, downsizing some things and re-purposing sheds. I will have fewer hens so their pen got moved and dh will build a smaller coop. Their old coop will be my new tack room. T

I'm excited about the changes we're making and how much more efficient and attractive the back will be. :)
Me, too, for you!! :hugs GOTTA have a good tack room!
Btw, I would fumigate that shed before I re-use it for your tack. I used a stall for chickens for 3 straight winters. I will wear work clothes into the GROUND before I toss them, so I took my worst to strip it, swept and bleached the cement floor and wiped down the walls of that part of the wooden barn before I made it back into a stall AND I threw away my cleaning clothes that day. Rotting chicken manure is the WORST!! The first stall was 12 x 16 with a barn paneled door. I didn't bother with any block bc the horse was a 16'2hh 19yo TW who had been living in a 10 x 10 stall before I bought him. He wouldn't break anything.
Buster Brown, the escape artist who figured out how to take his nose and open the free standing window that I slide back and forth (between the barn and shelter) is aNOTHER story. I bought round pen panels with a gate for HIM. Every time something gets busted HE is always the culprit, the "PerP", as they say in tv crime dramas.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shucks. I just figured out yesterday that the grape hyacinth will be their usual Concord blue and some of you are already losing your sweet summer!?!

To cover the hoops over 2 backyard beds, I gave up finding a construction-grade 6-mil of the proper size that wasn't more white than clear. No, I didn't buy the 3x more expensive greenhouse film to use for 10 or 12 weeks, then rip off.

DW and I will stretch 4-mil film over the beds, today. The stakes were put in the wet ground and pvc hoops set up, yesterday. Hopefully, we can get the lighter film stretched and tacked down without tearing it. I'm optimistic and there are plants in the greenhouse impatiently waiting to go in those beds!

Steve
giphy (1).gif

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I moved my Jack Mannii to a big pot. I also planted a new one in there too. Now I see buds but I don't know which one it is. Guess I'll be surprised. Hope it's the new one. Kind of fushia color. ;) The Jack I'm not too crazy about but I didn't want to throw away.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I lost almost all my clematis to some disease, the leafs blacken and fell off starting at bottom .

Try growing the small flowered ones. They are more resistant to clematis wilt. And it's also supposed to help if you plant them deep, up to the second buds on the stem, to encourage a strong root system.

I think it was @aftermidnight who said she cut them down when they started to show signs of the
fungus. They regrow from the roots. Maybe she'll elaborate on this for us.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Btw, I would fumigate that shed before I re-use it for your tack.

For sure! It has a vinyl floor and wood walls. It's been cleaned out and swept. All the roosts and chicken furniture removed. I plan on using a bucket of bleach water and scrubbing the walls and floor with a stiff broom, let it dry, then do a more detailed scrubbing with a hand brush.

Latest posts