What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the black spot that gets clematis can also be hosted by the annual poppies. if we keep the poppies back from the clematis they do better. we don't have them planted in the best place - the wind can give 'em a beating at times.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My daylilies are starting their foliage even though it is still pretty raw outside most days. I am persisting in my greenhouse with seed starting and repotting. I have been weeding mulching and fertilizing some of the daylily beds that were neglected last summer. Boy that has been satisfying. Very good for my mental health.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I finished spreading more horse manure and topped with wood chips on my 3 veggie beds and to the left of them.

Attachments

• 4EF78A4E-80C0-4361-BE7A-00101D32A9E9.jpeg
    4EF78A4E-80C0-4361-BE7A-00101D32A9E9.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 93C753D1-5C8A-4720-8E11-F05919A77CAB.jpeg
    93C753D1-5C8A-4720-8E11-F05919A77CAB.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 128

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hopefully, we can get the lighter film stretched and tacked down without tearing it.
We did it.

One hole, about the size of my thumb. I think I dropped a rock on it ... the plastic film, not my thumb.

Feels good to get the hoop house set up. I think I forgot how long it would take. Thought "most of the day." Turned out: about 4 hours. After straightening up the beds and pathway: Some seedlings are in the ground and the flats of onions have been moved in there. They don’t need the greenhouse heat.

Still have to install the window but ventilation wasn’t important on this windy day, replete with clouds and rain showers.

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tomatoes and peppers have germinated/sprouted well and I'm tickled over that. I usually have great success with the maters, but spotty results with peppers...usually have to have a heat mat under them, but didn't this year because we are still using the wood stove!

NY, your New Yorkers were the last of the maters to sprout but sprout they did! :clap

Blessings to be found in all weathers, folks! ;) :D

Peonies are up above the soil!!!! :weee :celebrate :weee :celebrate

Spuds have cured out enough to plant this week...late start, I know, but it will be fine.

Peach trees are blooming....always lovely to see but won't get pollinated if the snows keep coming every other day, alternating with 50-60* weather. Strange spring, but lovely all the same.

Ramps planted last season down in a close wood lot are flourishing...it's a GREAT year for ramps, y'all! :woot My brother thinned his out last year, leaving one plant...it must have taken that as a sign to get busy. He's got about 50 ramps in his garden, all growing around that mother plant.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted 189 onions-wanted 100. Candy onions, anyone else plant them? First time for me. Couple short rows of transplanted garlic.

2 short rows of peas and threw radish seeds over rows.

Older couple I know said the only onions they will grow are Candy. They love the taste. I have never tasted them. I might pick some up if I see some at the greenhouses.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOVE the Candy onions. The only kind I attempt to grow. Grew them successfully once on land that is not my current land and they were so sweet and juicy! The juice actually ran out of them upon cutting them, they were that tender and juicy. Mild and sweet onion.

Been trying to grow them ever since on this current plot, but without much success. Growing some this season too, started from seeds....will be planting out the seedlings this coming week, hopefully.