What Did You Do In The Garden?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine are now covered with about 1-2” of snow...... We’ll see how tough they are.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never stick to one type just in case they have a bad year. I am going my own onion plants for I think the 4th or 5th year. Best onions ever. I still have a few onions left from last summer an we eat onions near every day.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine are now covered with about 1-2” of snow...... We’ll see how tough they are.

both onions and garlic seem fairly tolerant of cold to me from what i recall. only in the middle of winter with bare ground do i see them get knocked back all the way, but then they just regrow as soon as the weather comes around. the younger the seedling i'd be a bit more worried but not too much. i always have more seeds than i can ever plant.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
... at least you can talk about gardening and doing things and daydreams ...

Okay, this is for FlowerBug as much as anyone ;). I have been reluctant to advise @seedcorn on Candy Onions. This will be my 4th year growing them.

Last year, they really did okay and they are a tasty onion. The first 2 years, they were puny and somewhat variable ... with some punyer than others. I think that they may have had too much shade the first two years.

Usually, I decide to give varieties a couple of years. Sometimes, there is a bad growing season for something or other. Maybe it's too often a fail or maybe it's just gonna happen once in awhile - like a bad cucumber season. One bad year out of 10 shouldn't stop someone who likes cucumbers from growing them each and every year. All of life is too big of a gamble to behave like that. Yeah.

It may be a little too far north for "... its optimum 33-40° latitude range ..." (Johnny's) If they aren't equal to the task, even if I like Candy's flavor, I can't continue growing them ...

It has done very well for me and I have Utah Sweet Spanish again. I find it peculiar to grow a variety with a name like that, even a long-day variety, almost 7 degrees of latitude north of Salt Lake City! Indianapolis is on about the same latitude as that "southern" city and, recognizing Seedcorn's orientation, I think he has a choice and should be blessed with mucho Candy in 2018!

:) Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, this is for FlowerBug as much as anyone ;). I have been reluctant to advise @seedcorn on Candy Onions. This will be my 4th year growing them.

Last year, they really did okay and they are a tasty onion. The first 2 years, they were puny and somewhat variable ... with some punyer than others. I think that they may have had too much shade the first two years.

Usually, I decide to give varieties a couple of years. Sometimes, there is a bad growing season for something or other. Maybe it's too often a fail or maybe it's just gonna happen once in awhile - like a bad cucumber season. One bad year out of 10 shouldn't stop someone who likes cucumbers from growing them each and every year. All of life is too big of a gamble to behave like that. Yeah.

It may be a little too far north for "... its optimum 33-40° latitude range ..." (Johnny's) If they aren't equal to the task, even if I like Candy's flavor, I can't continue growing them ...

It has done very well for me and I have Utah Sweet Spanish again. I find it peculiar to grow a variety with a name like that, even a long-day variety, almost 7 degrees of latitude north of Salt Lake City! Indianapolis is on about the same latitude as that "southern" city and, recognizing Seedcorn's orientation, I think he has a choice and should be blessed with mucho Candy in 2018!

:) Steve
From seed, plants or sets? Where you got them could have something to do with the outcome. I have been from my own form seed. So much better than anything I ever bought. My candy onions were fantastic--all varieties I chose did great.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
[edit pics added at end]

round [X] of groundhog battles. because it is not easy to see down the side of the ditch over the fence i didn't catch that they'd redug out one of the den entrances again until this morning. the weather was nice enough that i came back in and got my grubbies on and went back out to see what was up. they'd actually reopened both entrances and i began to suspect there might be other's i've not found yet.

after plugging things back up and armoring, putting down bricks, rocks, pounding in stakes and pieces of wood, putting huge rock over chunks of wood, etc. i came back up on this side of the fence and pulled the end of the smaller drainage ditch which is covered with pallets (that are rotting and falling apart. underneath is a gap and many animals use it as hiding spot and highway to get up into the gardens and such. sometimes the groundhogs have put dens under there too and i find them and get them plugged up. so today i pulled things apart and looked and found something that is probably more like a rabbit hiding spot. plugged that up too.

i decided that since i'm redoing the neighboring garden anyways and will likely have to deal with invasive grasses growing under the pathway, that i will now just fill in the end and then shift the gravel pathway over whatever i can get done at a time.

but wait, i'll need to put another drainage tube through there first for extra capacity if that is covered up. so someday soon i'll be doing that as i have a section of drain tube left over from another project and then i can get that whole end filled back in and move the pathway over about 4ft and that then will be reclaimed garden space (once i get the invasive grasses and irises out of there and screen the dirt to get the crushed limestone out of there too - a short version of that story is that we had another area with a lot of dirt and limestone mixed together and i decided instead of burying it all i would just use it along another edge where i could put some irises and hens and chicks along) . knowing that eventually the gravel would be washed by the rain of the dirt and i could move it a little at a time back into the neighboring pathway. :)

to make that go much faster last spring i had another project and needed to screen a lot more gravel from some dirt so i built a nice big box for doing that and i also built that knowing this project was coming in the future.

it's nice when plans come together...

so back to other thing, once i fill that end in, i will also armor edge of what i fill in so they won't use that as den making place and then as i get more tube and fill and time i will keep working back closer to house. already it has helped a great deal to have the end of the smaller drainage ditch closed off so that the only exit is via drain tube #1 which is already down there. that drain tube also has a screen over it so animals can't use it as a tunnel... having a nicer way across that space that doesn't involve walking on pallets (rotting, nails, etc.) is also a good investment for the longer term. it's rather a nasty hazard and getting worse...

p4090007_Next_Long_Project_Far_End_thm.jpg

p4090006_Next_Proj_Long_View_thm.jpg

Last edited:

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I transplanted some kale, collards, basil, tomatoes, but they look so small compared to last couple of years. I have a picture of DH and DS tilling on this date April 11, 2016 and the cherry bush had blooms and the rosebush had leaves. I went out today and there is barely any leaves starting to open on same plants. I have a picture in April 2013 of cabbage plants in the ground and peas coming up in the garden. I feel like I have lost 2 months. The only difference I can see in the size of my plants from last 2 years is that when I put them outside the sun was shinning and warmed up the plastic. This year there is not enough sun, so no heat.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm amazed at some of the plants that I got and put in last fall are not sprouting out yet. Specifically the crepe myrtle - I see some green wood when I snap off some twigs, but otherwise dormant. Also the freeway plants all died (I can never remember the name, but they are all over the freeways in Calif, in red or pink or white)- they sell them here but they didn't make it. I have the receipt and will take them back. Fred Meyer was selling terrific grasses last fall, and so far the five of them are dead as a door nail.

Latest posts