What Did You Do In The Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Dunno. They are removing the bees and replacing the soffets, but the base price is $1K
Maybe the state of IL requires certification and allow them to charge like this. Maybe there are fewer bee keepers here? :idunno:idunno:idunno
If I tell my DD's about your post they will cry.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not much, planted my "Sarah's Old Fashioned Black" pole beans in pots until they get their true leaves, also potted up some thyme cuttings, my plants were getting old so thought I'd better start more before I have to discard the old ones. I use a LOT of thyme so have 4 or 5 containers on the go.
Right now the garden has a nice scent going on, the Akebia Vine is flowering, hard to describe the scent.
Took the hot caps off my three "Piekny Jas" runners as they are starting to climb. The fake PJ's (limas) are growing gang busters against a lattice panel as are the "Seneco Speckled Egg" and "Polisn Freidank" they'll have to duke it out.
Tomatoes are all potted up and in the greenhouse except for one of the "NEW YORKER'S" it's planted out with a hot cap over it, the others will go out the beginning of June, time to get the rest of my beans started and plant the cucumbers (Diva, my favorite).

Annette

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started some squash and cucumbers. I started the Diplomat melons a few days ago and the Black Summer pac choi, which is up now. Too tired to work turning dirt today. My plants look good. Have some out on the patio and going to spend the night out. Need to get a place ready to plant the kale, collards, a few cabbage, Swiss chard, lettuce, onions.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Taught the kids garden class in the morning. Much hilarity and good times there. :)

Came into the house to recoup for an hour then went back out and planted tomatoes and peppers. I put them in the ground instead of big containers as I originally intended because I haven't seen any gopher activity up there since I flattened all the winter gopher tunnels. I think the cats may be earning their keep. Anyway, it's a bit of a gamble, but hopefully a successful one.

Last edited:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
today was not much in the garden day so far, as i had to finish up building the stairs. i had most of it done yesterday, but needed to get the railing height and angles figured out and i had to have Mom around so she could say if the railing was too tall or short. without a good miter box or saw and just using the power saw it was a bit of fun, but i was able to get the angle adjusted well enough. i'll caulk it once i know we're inside for the day so it can set up overnight. then Mom can paint it. :)

she's only wanted me to do this for a year now, but winter is just not a good time to be doing any sawing outside. the existing step was able to be shortened and used for the first step and then i added a second step behind it and a railing to grab onto if needed.

finished up just in time with the rains starting up again. it was snow pellets for a bit.

this morning scared the crap out of the groundhog. :) it was actually on this side of the fence for a change and so i popped it with the air rifle. should have seen it run into the fence and then trying to get out. unfortunately the fence back there isn't complete yet so it could go around the south edge to get away, but in the scramble it wasn't able to use all the other places i have been plugging up...
It is very nice to please your mother on the height of the stair railing. BUT ... more important ... what does the building code require ???? :hu :caf

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
A75C0008-25B8-470B-BAEC-92C003344F14.jpeg
Well I thought my garden was all done but I decided to make some changes, haha. I had planted some cream pots with impatients that weren't doing very well. So I took them out and planted pink angel wax begonias instead. It looks 10 times better! The light pink looks really good in front of my aubergine boxes. I replanted some of the impatients to pots along the side of the house.

I also top dressed a few pots with more compost since the soil had settled more than I wanted. Also planted a six-pack of scarlet runner beans around my blue obelisk. Trimmed the rose and planted the 2 window boxes on my coop with purple bacopa. The purple looks good against the orange coop.

Also planted an orange mimulus in a small teal watering can that I got free on our local site.

Planted 3 yellow calibrachoa around a blueberry that is in a large cobalt pot. I think the yellow against the blue will look striking. Last year I planted orange ones there that I really liked but couldn't find them this year.

Fertilized a lot of my garden with fish emulsion with kelp. I don't know how many trips I made filling that watering can and going back and forth.

Mary

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, your garden and coop sounds so lovely!!! More pics? I LOVE bacopa.

I fastened up raspberry canes today, put chicken compost around my rhubarbs and more leaves in my spud beds.
Thank you Bee. I've been sprucing it up because next Sunday we are having my husband's nephew and wife's baby shower here. Also next month, my garden will be on tour.

Mary