What Did You Do In The Garden?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, that is great that, that cutie pie loves gardening and more specifically to be with you. I love that she likes to kill chickens, haha. She leaves me in the dust on that one. I had to pay vet $83 to put Bella down. But there was no way I could have done the deed and I didn't want to take time finding someone who would. I knew vet would do it correctly, quick and easy.

Mary

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a beautiful garden! Wish I had that much space. So jealous but in a kind way. :) Love to hear that you are able to do all that work.

Mary

Well it is how I would like my garden to turn out. Time will tell if I am able to do it. I did not get sore, but woke up with my ears kind of ringing and pressure in my ears. My neck is so stiff. The other day the neighbor came out and was talking and as I was standing there I could feel my neck getting tighter and tighter and pulling. Yesterday I had enough and called and made an appointment with a chiropractor and when I got there the door was locked. I waited 15 minutes and nobody came, so went home. He called later and said he had an emergency and was sorry he was not there. I am better today and have not made up my mind if I am going or not.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, that is great that, that cutie pie loves gardening and more specifically to be with you. I love that she likes to kill chickens, haha. She leaves me in the dust on that one. I had to pay vet $83 to put Bella down. But there was no way I could have done the deed and I didn't want to take time finding someone who would. I knew vet would do it correctly, quick and easy.

Mary

That is about what it cost to put Snickers the rabbit to sleep. I used to think I wanted chickens, but I can tell it would be a bad idea. I just realized after you said "Bella" because I never thought I would name chickens, but now I see I would. lol

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
She's truly a blessing, Seed. She helped plant every little thing, stuck with it and marveled over it all. She called the half runner beans "magic" beans. She thought the green onion sets looked like little pumpkins...said, "Awwwww, this one is so cute! I'm going to marry this one." Never had such fun planting a garden than I do with that little girl.

She loves to garden with gran...I count myself blessed beyond measure that these little girls want to spend time with Gran, but especially that this one is so interested in growing food with us.

I butchered two problem chickens day before yesterday and she, as always, wanted to help...she's been helping with that since she could walk. She exclaimed, "Ganny, I want to kill chickens with you every day!" I had to laugh, thinking what all the bauble headed animal huggers out there would think about a 4 yr old so indoctrinated into the country life that she wants to kill chickens every day. :gig

View attachment 26054 View attachment 26052 View attachment 26051 View attachment 26055
Shucking corn with great grandma...her "mammy".
View attachment 26050
Has her own tractor now and really knows how to make it move. It has its own radio!
View attachment 26049
Took her for a day of pulling invasive specie plants off state park lands...she likes to do pretty much anything "Ganny" likes to do.
View attachment 26053

How wonderful Bee!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
today was not much in the garden day so far, as i had to finish up building the stairs. i had most of it done yesterday, but needed to get the railing height and angles figured out and i had to have Mom around so she could say if the railing was too tall or short. without a good miter box or saw and just using the power saw it was a bit of fun, but i was able to get the angle adjusted well enough. i'll caulk it once i know we're inside for the day so it can set up overnight. then Mom can paint it. :)

she's only wanted me to do this for a year now, but winter is just not a good time to be doing any sawing outside. the existing step was able to be shortened and used for the first step and then i added a second step behind it and a railing to grab onto if needed.

finished up just in time with the rains starting up again. it was snow pellets for a bit.

this morning scared the crap out of the groundhog. :) it was actually on this side of the fence for a change and so i popped it with the air rifle. should have seen it run into the fence and then trying to get out. unfortunately the fence back there isn't complete yet so it could go around the south edge to get away, but in the scramble it wasn't able to use all the other places i have been plugging up...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Went garden center shopping and I came back with plants for DD's yards. They are divided by fencing and sidewalks. I found some dead nettle, some creeping thyme, some bugleweed and I got 12 thyme and 6 bugleweed planted in the shady area under two trees in the south lawn. I already planted crocus, hyacinth and ranucula, though that is only an annual. I will "bee" there on Monday all day while the beekeepers remove a hive built in the soffets on the north side of the house. I had forgotten that in the two years since the bees moved in they had already swarmed. DD was regretting having to spend $1,300 on this, but I reminded her that I made the call and immediately got ahold of a certified bee keeper who lives only 10 minutes from their house AND they didn't have to be put on a waiting list for somebody much further away, so it's all good. 7 in the morning. There had Better be coffee waiting for me and maybe some doughnuts.
They are thinking that this is all day event...so I will garden. Lots of weeds to dig up and many things to transplant plant including:
6 sugar baby watermelons
6 snapdragons
~30 spent daffodils
3 mini roses
several purple columbine, depending on how many i want to dig out of my front yard
12 wax begonias
6 impatiens
6 early girl tomatoes
2 strawberry plants, NOW flowering under my grow lights
a few other flowers that I bought on impulse and have forgotten their names, BUT they are annuals
I am planting the daffodils with the thyme and bugleweed and I will plant nasturtium seeds there, as well. I need to divide my creeping phlox and their creeping phlox but I want that to be the only thing I do one day this month bc I have never done it before. That will go on the south lawn in several pieces directly next to the sidewalk.
That should be enough planting, and if I have time I will deweed a bed next to the garage where I will be planting scarlett runner seeds. First, however, I will be collecting sticks and bagging them for burning at my place.
No sense planting ANY spring seeds there! We had a comforter on our bed only last week and now we have highs in the 80's and lows in the 60's. We LITERALLY had NO Spring this year!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The first Kids Garden Class is tomorrow morning.
I am not ready, but it's going to happen anyway.
After work this evening I mowed the weeds around the garden and in the "classroom", and got the picnic tables situated. Tomorrow morning will be a mad scramble to get all my materials out there and set up and organize my thoughts. :eek:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
looks like rain all day here today, one of the rare gentle long rains that soak in - too cold to be messing around outside in the garage or shed.

yippee! :) day off to frog around inside. i've needed a break like this anyways. got to get some plants ready to ship and shred some papers...

Latest posts