What Did You Do In The Garden?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, your garden and coop sounds so lovely!!! More pics? I LOVE bacopa.

I fastened up raspberry canes today, put chicken compost around my rhubarbs and more leaves in my spud beds.
Love more pix as your descriptions use colors I have no idea what it is. Same with names of furniture. I’m a mongo, I understand red, yellow, chair, table, etc......

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary you have a great eye for color, do you paint ( artist ) ?
No, actually I don't think I'm very creative at all. I just love bright colors. I try my best but my color in plants is not always that good. For example I'll have two plants the same color next to each other. That's because that is the only place I have and I want the plant that I just bought. Lol

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you Bee. I've been sprucing it up because next Sunday we are having my husband's nephew and wife's baby shower here. Also next month, my garden will be on tour.

Mary

Then your good ol buddies and pals on the TEG should get the first virtual tour, don't you think? :D I've love to see a pic tour of all your flowers, colors and furniture plus coop with the flowers too. You DO have a flare for form and color, which I love, so I think you are an artist all the same. :love

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Then your good ol buddies and pals on the TEG should get the first virtual tour, don't you think? :D I've love to see a pic tour of all your flowers, colors and furniture plus coop with the flowers too. You DO have a flare for form and color, which I love, so I think you are an artist all the same. :love
Oh Bee, you are one of the kindest people here on TEG. I'll try to do a video in the next couple weeks just for you.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
B046F0D3-A3C6-402F-99C8-5313D79B9783.jpeg
For you Bee.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score

See? All those colors I would never think to bring together, you have done to create a very vibrant, yet harmonious setting...a feast for the eyes. Some people just have that flare. I have it just in little bits, but those who have it big time are often selling their work in a gallery somewhere.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Was nearly 100* today, then a short thunderstorm swept through, we lost power a couple of times, then the temps dropped by 20*!

So, this amazingly cool evening, with everything just sparkling and bright, allowed me to get some things in the garden. I planted the pumpkins, most of the tomatoes, and got my hot peppers transplanted into bigger pots. They look GREAT! This is the first time I've had peppers germinate that well and also grow that well, looking as healthy as they do. I think it was placing them out on that grow table under the Agribon that really helped them stay watered evenly and also the direct exposure to sunlight for most of the day.

The tomatoes are also the healthiest looking I've ever grown too...they lost their legginess after transplanting into foam cups, so nice and thick stems, excellent color too. Usually they lack that deep and lovely green the nurseries all manage to have, but this year they are very deep green with sturdy, short stems. I grew too many, though, for the space I have to trellis them....I took down one trellis this year as I didn't intend to plant as many tomatoes~tomato soup triggers my gout, though I can eat them fresh and it doesn't seem to do that.

The rest of the things I grew in flats this year didn't do so well....lettuce, broccoli, yellow squash(didn't even germinate...could be the source of the seed, though), pak choi and napa cabbage...both of these are much more stunted than normal. I'll get them all into the ground come Wed. if the Lord wills it, then plant all of these from seed directly into the garden from now on.

So, as of now, in the garden I have all my sweet onions, some green onions, all my taters, pumpkins, tomatoes, Fortex and half runner beans, some flowers, and even a few starts of celery that were planted from the stumps of store bought celery. They seem to be doing quite well and will do even better if we continue to get rains. I have sugar snap peas out there also but they are pathetic, as per usual, so will not produce anything. Last year's enormous and lovely pea crop must have been a one off.

Then I have all my usual perennials~chives, garlic(doing the best it's ever done out there....so much for wood chips, huh? Hay is king!), asparagus, rhubarb, strawberries, raspberries, herbs, and such.

I'll tell you this much....I NEVER saw this many worms from using the wood chips. Every single scoop of earth yields giant earthworms, healthy looking things and lots of them. I'm loving this hay....this time last year my garden was covered like a carpet with small weed seedlings. Right now I have a few pieces of hay/grass sticking up, which are easily vanquished by plopping a flake of hay on them. Easy peasy.

Need to plant marigolds and more zinnias. Need to build another CP "cage" for the other peony...they are growing fast and will have LOTS of bloom this year, for which I'm so thankful!!!! Also need to put up some deer netting around the flower beds so the chickens won't scratch up my zinnias before they can grow.

Latest posts