What Did You Do In The Garden?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn, You need to evict the moles ASAP. Probably those okras that baited them into your garden. I have never tried growing okras , I thought I was way to far from Dixie to have success or desire to eat them. Moles in the garden yikes.
The problem is I have to go through so many appeals courts as moles have rights and they are appealing all of them. Fairing housing act, DNR, PETA, civil liberties, etc..... if I get any up, I’ll send you some seeds to try next year. When bearing, they really need 80 degree weather or they go woody fast. Pick at 3”, would probably be ok. Nothing beats fresh fried okra with bacon & onions.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ya know, our weeds follow us. @flowerbug ID'ed a weed (big-time help from @journey11 ;)), that was noted as both native and non. Maybe the subject of scholarly research.

Anyway, most of our garden weeds followed gardeners right across the oceans and continents. They are adapted to cultivated ground ... darn things.

I have started new gardens in cutover evergreen forest, long-vacant lot and right over an old homesite, a berry patch, on lawns, and farm fields. It takes awhile ...

What I'm hoping is that the 4 years of weeds has swung the soil environment towards ... shall we say, more conventional crops. I have to spray the fenceline soon. There is no cultivation possible there. Not only a fence with fallow neighboring ground that is only mowed once in awhile but an ancient 8" irrigation pipe amongst the weeds! I have no idea how long that pipe has been there and unused.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed , I'll be interested in knowing how your Fortex pole beans do.

The first year I planted them, they were wonderful. The next year, I think some old variety beans I was trying earlier either laid in the ground all winter and came up amongst the Fortex, or the Fortex cross pollinated with them because there were definitely two different kinds of beans on each pole: long skinny tender small-seeded stringless (Fortex) and short lumpy large-seeded stringy tough (not Fortex). The not-Fortex was the more robust plant of the two.

The next year, all the beans that came up that were supposed to be Fortex absolutely were not. All of them were short, tough, etc, etc. I did not plant any other kind of bean intentionally those last two years. I really don't know what went wrong. Some sellers call Fortex a hybrid; some do not. If it is a hybrid, that may explain why the seeds I saved didn't do well.

Anyway, I hope yours do wonderful.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think @thistlebloom must be very busy. She didn't comment on me posting her toy tractor picture on @flowerbug 's weed thread.

Yes, busy! Took a short 3 day vacation with friends riding our horses in the Cabinet mountains in Montana.
Meanwhile the weeds have prospered, so tomorrow is going to be busy as well. :)

Me and my Spring Beauties. :):):)
upload_2018-5-27_12-21-17.jpeg

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s meant for me to have okra. 4 Th planting today. Dang mole went right down the row leaving a burrow right beneath them. Maybe I should plant some kale by my okra as nothing in nature eats that voluntarily. ;)

Took parts of 4 hours to weed my sweet corn of grass. Lot of interruptions to answer questions. Hot part of day, so BREAK just like a union worker...
You need some barn cats

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don’t know of any cats that will touch a mole. Wish they would.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don’t know of any cats that will touch a mole. Wish they would.

All my cats have always killed moles. They LOVE to kill moles...just won't eat one. Even my dog will kill moles and voles.

You just need you a few southern cats...they take care of business. ;)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed Yes, if I wanted any cats, I’d drive down there & pay for mole killing cats. Our cats are so pampered-by my DW who says she doesn’t like them-that they are useless....

Latest posts