What Did You Do In The Garden?

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn , I had a gopher digging right in the garden today. I have the trap line set, so I hope I have a gopher soon. Usually I see the gopher mounds migrating towards the garden, this time no warning just boom there it was.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom , I bet the cabinet mountains are really great this time of year. We haven’t been over that way in about 20 years.

They're beautiful. Still snow on the peaks, and the rivers and lakes are at capacity, sometimes nearly up to the road. Dh and I are inspired to do more exploring that direction. It's an area we've overlooked, but it's ridiculously close.

@seedcorn , I had a gopher digging right in the garden today. I have the trap line set, so I hope I have a gopher soon. Usually I see the gopher mounds migrating towards the garden, this time no warning just boom there it was.

I hope you get him tonight. I really dropped the ball last year by not being more consistent with the traps and they multiplied and gave me grief.
It seems that my two new cats are making a difference so far though.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pulled the plastic film and pvc hoops off two backyard beds. Removed the window and door, also.

Now, the hoop house is gone and my one bed backyard garden is a part of a 3 bed backyard garden!

Now also, temperatures are supposed to be returning to a cooler, normal. A morning low in the low 40's should arrive about mid-week. Highs won't be in the 80's after tomorrow. Nothing dramatic, maybe not even wind or rain - just a return to more of a springtime normal.

It's okay. Plants that might benefit from protection are nearly all in the garden. The plants in those beds were cool-season veggies and we have had many, many servings from that protected growing over many days. More Bok Choy can be planted. It's still nicely protected by fence and buildings :).

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted more tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, some winter squash, Diplomat melons, leeks, more kale, 32 peppers. I still have peppers to plant and giving some to the neighbor, basil, a few tomatoes, onions, and need to get bush beans in. I am thinking of going to the farmers market Saturday and pick up some cabbage plants and potatoes to plant. Neighbor is planting potatoes and now I want to. Lol. I also want to plant radishes and try beets again.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
They're beautiful. Still snow on the peaks, and the rivers and lakes are at capacity, sometimes nearly up to the road. Dh and I are inspired to do more exploring that direction. It's an area we've overlooked, but it's ridiculously close.

I hope you get him tonight. I really dropped the ball last year by not being more consistent with the traps and they multiplied and gave me grief.
It seems that my two new cats are making a difference so far though.
Good hunting cat worth weight in gold

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I mowed/mulched the garden and gave that to the chickens. I deep tilled the entire (rest of) the area, and I have tilled in 3 tow wagons full of mulch into it, so far, before it started to pour. Planting there asap.
The one bed that I had prepped like this was planted this AM with Romas. I also planted geraniums next to the garage. I had a Mother's Day Lowe's gift card and they were clearancing annuals, geraniums included although I still manage to keep geraniums during the winter in pots in the upstairs windows and they flower the whole time, so I consider them MY perrennials that I have to transplant.
Geraniums and petunias were $1/each and I bought 6 packs of wax begonias and impatiens, 3 for $5.00
I will try to get those in the beds north of the garage sometime today, but I have to dodge the rain. More to report later today...

Latest posts