What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it's official, we are planted! took the morning and a bit after noon, but got the starts from the greenhouse all in! *happy dance* we don't have many like some of you do, but it's enough for us: 3 roma tomatos, 12 beefsteaks, some dill, 12 cucumbers, 36 onions, 24 red peppers and 6 green peppers.

now on to planting beans *bounce bounce bounce* :) tomorrow i start on the fence/pole beans and then the limas. i'm not going to push it hard either as my back really needs a break. i'm pretty sure i'm done for today as it is.

thin crust pizza going in the oven and then a nap is about as ambitious as i'm getting. likely i'll putter and weed some later but nothing serious. pick a small area and do it. or maybe nothing at all. we'll see...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s meant for me to have okra. 4 Th planting today. Dang mole went right down the row leaving a burrow right beneath them. Maybe I should plant some kale by my okra as nothing in nature eats that voluntarily. ;)

Took parts of 4 hours to weed my sweet corn of grass. Lot of interruptions to answer questions. Hot part of day, so BREAK just like a union worker...

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS’ I basically rototilled the grass and raked out as much of the sod chunks as I could and covered it with 3”-4” of rotted saw dust and horse manure last fall. This spring I just tilled it in and planted, without testing the soil ph. The only thing I have noticed is that the bush beans are in the new area and are coming up real slow. The pole beans that are planted in the old part of the garden came up right away and are about 3-4” tall already. Also planted some black coat runner beans in another area of new garden and not one has come up. The seeds are packaged for 2018 from baker creek, so I’m sure the seed is good. Everything else was transplanted and seems to be doing ok, except a few hills of squash and cucumbers that I direct seeded and going to keep an eye on. Also the weeds are prolific and are coming up everywhere, I need to hurry and finish the irrigation and get it thick mulched to help keep them down.
I am hoping everything will do alright this year in all the new space, but if it don’t I will keep building up the soil. It will eventually will pan out though, hope I can at least choke off the weeds this year.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn, You need to evict the moles ASAP. Probably those okras that baited them into your garden. I have never tried growing okras , I thought I was way to far from Dixie to have success or desire to eat them. Moles in the garden yikes.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn, You need to evict the moles ASAP. Probably those okras that baited them into your garden. I have never tried growing okras , I thought I was way to far from Dixie to have success or desire to eat them. Moles in the garden yikes.

my brother likes to grow okra and he's another hour north of us. i grew it here once and we had flowers and pods. it was in rock hard soil. aphids were all over it and ladybugs didn't find it. bad location i guess, but it did survive and we ate some...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug , glad you are all planted up, take it easy on the back you don’t want get laid up with that this time of year.

tks, :) u2,

another storm heading right at us, will be here in about half hour, i get the day off today and tomorrow it looks like. 91F forecast for both days. back is holding up ok now that i've had something different to do for the past few days. hope yours is doing ok there @Collector and your foot too?

Mom is in the middle of a project for one of my brother's so we have to get the truck ready for her to go ASAP, i told her to not drive in the storm but right after it's done she's off because she wants to get it done before it gets too hot. gonna be soggy wood chips, but we already have them in the truck. just have to tie down the wheelbarrow and get the tools on there.

Latest posts