What Did You Do In The Garden?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted Coyote this year because of you Steve.
It's a biggish plant, compared to the others.

I put all of my (few) tomatoes along a cattle panel so they could be tied up as they grew.
It seems my phantom garden partner has not been doing this and they are as sprawly as ever.

Darned phantom gardener!
Could be delusional brother as he loves to bother things...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Harvested 2 more beefsteak tomatoes!!! :weee
Sawed down saplings and burdock on the north and northwest side of the house. Loaded in my tow wagon and took to the north pasture burn pile.
ONLY 6 burdock along the fenceline to the north of the house where I laid down cardboard and soiled bedding last winter!!!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' peppers that were knocked over are still alive and the beans look ok too from what i can tell. yesterday i had to give a 5 minute garden tour to someone and i didn't notice anything obviously dead. i've had pepper plants continue growing and heal themselves up from something chewing through the stem as long as there was a way for the juice to flow both ways... i'm thinking the beans may do so too as long as i don't move them again while they're healing up. the break in the hot weather will help that along i'm sure.

very busy today and the rest of the week so i'll be scarce.

put up another dozen quarts of dill pickles this morning, i told Mom that i was now retired from dill pickle duty for the rest of this season. we have two buckets of cucumbers to give away.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
3hrs of weeding yesterday (in the north garden) and 1hr of end of driveway repair to fix the mess the road crew left.

that's it for the entire week. :( but it's been good to see some relatives and get caught up on what's been happening with them.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
i put up 19 quarts of pickles and rescued the flaws and rejects for a bowl of refridgerator pickles.

i'm sad today from damage from the rains yesterday. i know it rained pretty hard (dark red on the radar means near hailstorm conditions), but i didn't think of going out and checking the gardens afterwards.

was going to take pictures as things were looking pretty nice finally with all the plants getting bigger and filling in.

the pepper patch looks like a drunk went through and randomly kicked plants over and some of my bean plants broke right off. not sure what will recover...

Like the part about the pickles, but not the rain damage.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I need to get some weeding done. The garden is strange this year. I am getting pole beans and bush beans, but the pole beans are not as healthy looking as before. I have some growing on a fence I planted late and they look really good and have flowers now. Summer squash get flowers and no squash. I have picked 1 so far, but I see 2 little ones out there. Winter squash is taking over the garden. I am not sure if when they do have fruit if they will have ripen, lots of leaves. I have some tomatoes and actually more slicing tomatoes than cherry tomatoes which is backwards for me. I have a lot of cucumbers and peppers. The kale and collards look just so so. Picking blackberries now.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Last week I sawed down all of the fenceline burdock on the south wall of the North Pasture and the fenceline behind the barn. Hay man scheduled delivery on Sunday, with rain predicted, then cancelled. I asked my two guys (who can walk to my house) to come early to prep the barn's loft, so I also had them move these RR ties into my training area, then we visited and talked "guns" for 2 hours on the porch while it poured. They moved 7 bales of hay ad 13 bales of straw to a stall to make room. HOPEfully I will get 150 bales hay and 50 bales straw this Saturday.
This morning I mowed in the front yard before the rain and laid down cardboard next to the sidewalk west of the steps. I was getting tired of looking at my blue salva through crabgrass. I dumped a load of swept up straw on top.
I had room in the tilled up bed between my faux herb garden and the now-looking-very-much-like-a-strawberry-bed bed, I added an orphan pepper plant and a lone cabbage struggling to stay alive in a container in my kitchen window. Plus I moved a small tomato that wasn't growing and replaced it with another volunteer in my flower bed.
I am doing business in my office upstairs until the rain breaks, then back to hand pulling weeds.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Like the part about the pickles, but not the rain damage.

Mom picked three more buckets of cucumbers yesterday. gave a lot of them to my brother but i'm not sure what's happening with the other bucket sitting by the door. i hope it doesn't involve me. i'm tired already and will head out after this break to get more weeding done. at least it's looking a little better out there now... :)