What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
cleaned up cucumber garden (got the dried up vines and too large cucumbers buried) a few of them were fermenting and it was quite the interesting smell and texture... haha... Mom hates when i leave stuff on the surface and especially anything that might smell a bit. the worms like having some cover though... two small trenches and in it all went. not too deep. it will settled down by next spring.

also did some weeding in the north garden as i'd hastily buried tomato scraps the other day and didn't bury it very deeply. so i had to go in there to fix that up a bit and while there i noticed a few billion weed seeds sprouting so the small four pronger rake got used to upset their apple cart for a while.

the rest of the day i took a bit of a break and then went out and picked some beans!!!!! as usual i have a mix of plants too close together and sometimes i find bean plants that are mostly finished overgrown by the neighboring plants. when i don't yet know the habit of a bean plant it's not too hard to have this happen. especially when i do space them so closely.

this evening after a bit of a nap i shelled some of them out because so many of the pods were wriggly/wet enough and i wanted to make sure i had enough decent quality seeds. all things considered it's going ok. i'm really hating this hobbling thing tho...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ouch, @flowerbug ?

Don't re-injure tendon! Maybe you can heal soon.

My time in the garden these days is almost entirely taken up with harvesting.

Steve

thanks, just being able to walk more normal is good. it's been close to two weeks now and it's improving. healing up a lot faster than my arm.

chopped up a watermelon this morning and fed the rinds and all my bean pod shells and the rotting bean pods to the worm farm. they'll take care of it all by next spring. while doing that i found a spider in one of the worm buckets and since i sometimes have a few fungus gnats or tiny flies in some of them i rotated him to another bucket to help capture some of those. i'm wondering how long he/she will live if there is never a frost (worm farm buckets are inside my room here :) ). i've seen this spider twice before already and it seems to be doing ok so i've left it alone. once in a while i find some that i'll put outside.

i'm resting for a while before the dew burns off and then i'll get outside as much of the rest of the day as i can before relatives arrive for a visit later. rain chances forecast almost every day the coming week including later this evening. i told Mom i'm picking in the rain if i have to. there's just too many out there that need to come in for shelling and i'm not sure i can get all of the rest of the gardens checked out today. we'll see. :)

good luck with your harvesting there @digitS'. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
August 31, 2018 74338 AM PDT.png

How's this for a harvest?!

I went looking for a picture of a Harvestman for @canesisters post. Spider? Is it like that longlegged machine in that picture?

;) Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
On vacation for 9 days in CO. DD did a great job at taking care of the animals, but didn't pick any okra. I picked it ALL, including the 8-10 inchers, many of which were still tender bc of lots of rain and put 6 quart bags in the freezer. Yesterday and today I picked and canned 15 quarts,2 pints and 1 half pint of tomatoes. FIRST year that I bought real super big Romas! 4 inchers, mostly. 2 years ago I could only can 13 quarts, so I am really excited! :weee

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tilled central and perimeter pathways - probably, a very ineffective effort ...

The paths between beds were left with their population of purslane. @flowerbug , if I was to rely on our appetite for purslane at the table, I couldn't harvest 1% of it, especially since DW won't eat it.

The neighbor is in charge of the irrigation and does a much better job than I could do. However, turning the water on weeds that I'm trying to kill has occurred twice this year - once, while I was busy trying to kill them!

I can't fault the old guy too much since he does a good job with the water and can neither see me nor the pickup from his path to the irrigation valve.

Because the soil was somewhat dry and the wind was dying away, I bet he turned on the sprinklers sometime after I left. Transplanted purslane.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought a six pack of beets and bunching onions . Once I separated them there were 42 beet seedlings and 41 onions. Planted seeds for 6 kale plants. I was surprised at how fast my (what I thought was hugh) raised bed filled! I have no room for cilantro there. :(

Planted 12 white cauliflower in my ground small bed. I still have 6 green ones to plant and find room somewhere for my cilantro.

Took down the scarlet runner beans that were on my blue oblelisk. I plan to repaint the oblelisk today and move my fushia clematis there. Will have to googl to see when I can do the transplant. I'm guessing that it's when it goes dormat but in my mild winter they don't.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought a six pack of beets and bunching onions . Once I separated them there were 42 beet seedlings and 41 onions. Planted seeds for 6 kale plants. I was surprised at how fast my (what I thought was hugh) raised bed filled! I have no room for cilantro there. :(

Planted 12 white cauliflower in my ground small bed. I still have 6 green ones to plant and find room somewhere for my cilantro.

Took down the scarlet runner beans that were on my blue oblelisk. I plan to repaint the oblelisk today and move my fushia clematis there. Will have to googl to see when I can do the transplant. I'm guessing that it's when it goes dormat but in my mild winter they don't.

Mary

Mary you should be fine transplanting that clem this month. I've done it mid season and it just slows them down, but they thrive the following year.
The trick is to take as much root ball as you can, and disturb it as little as possible. They don't like their roots ruffled. Plant and water as usual. You can plant it deeper than it's growing now, it will form new stems.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary you should be fine transplanting that clem this month. I've done it mid season and it just slows them down, but they thrive the following year.
The trick is to take as much root ball as you can, and disturb it as little as possible. They don't like their roots ruffled. Plant and water as usual. You can plant it deeper than it's growing now, it will form new stems.
I had googled before I got your response. They said I could transplant anytime but best between fall and spring. The thing I questioned was that they said crown should be buried 3 inches. I feel like plant could drown/rot. What do you think? I don't think it was buried that deep when I got it.

Ooops I just reread where you said to plant deeper for new stems :rolleyes:

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, clematis can be planted much deeper than the pot they came in. A local garden master years ago wrote an article on clems. He plants them deep but backfills the hole with bark until it has started putting out new stems. I have never done this and had no issues. If your soil is dense and slow draining it would be a good idea. You don't have to worry about the deep planting though.
Is this the new one you just bought? If so it shouldn't even have a hiccup from a transplant.