What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The location looks really nice, @thejenx . I hope that it isn't too windy. Sometime, tell us about the local cheese :).

The root crops and squash on the the other thread would be welcome around here. Not just the chard but the beets had germination problems. Maybe I'll move to starting in the greenhouse and transplanting. It's easy to see that carrots have problems in my big veggie garden's rocky ground.

My Autumn Crown must be a smaller version of the Rumba. It's a 2# to 4# C. moschata. Reimers says Rumbo is 15#.

Cleaned house gutters, today. Tired.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I planted fava beans in the greenhouse, just a test to see if I can get them early in the year. Also harvested the last dry beans, really late in the year. Normally we would have a killing frost in October.
Heavily mulched the japanese wineberries with sawdust. And started with cleaning out the creek next to my garden by hand. I will do a few metres every week because it's a tough job.

View attachment 29275
First bit done. And the ditch hook I use to get the muck and reed roots out:View attachment 29277 still a long way to go
View attachment 29276
Every time I see the words Fava beans I think of "Silence of the Lambs."

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@catjac1975 lol!

Some plants came back up after cutting them down and are blooming now!
20181110_130619.jpg
20181110_103247.jpg

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I planted fava beans in the greenhouse, just a test to see if I can get them early in the year. Also harvested the last dry beans, really late in the year. Normally we would have a killing frost in October.
Heavily mulched the japanese wineberries with sawdust. And started with cleaning out the creek next to my garden by hand. I will do a few metres every week because it's a tough job.

View attachment 29275
First bit done. And the ditch hook I use to get the muck and reed roots out:View attachment 29277 still a long way to go
View attachment 29276
Are the ditches for irrigation or for drying the fields?

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@catjac1975 The ditches were originally used to drain the swamp it was. This was done by use of windmills. Now the ditches are used to keep the land dry. The water is now pumped away with electric motors, but windmills can still help after a heavy rainfall.
This is the only windmill that's left in our polder:
266px-Hoogmade_Vlietmolen_weerspiegeling.jpg

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975 The ditches were originally used to drain the swamp it was. This was done by use of windmills. Now the ditches are used to keep the land dry. The water is now pumped away with electric motors, but windmills can still help after a heavy rainfall.
This is the only windmill that's left in our polder:
View attachment 29308
It is so very interesting to see how different your property is. The windmill is very cool.

Latest posts