What Did You Do In The Garden?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you so much Steve. Didn’t know it was a fly. Sounds rather hopeless.

Mary

I always have the leaf miner damage to Swiss chard, spinach, beets, but this year I put netting over my box to keep my cat out. The Swiss chard is still growing and never had leaf miner damage, but some Swiss chard out in the garden was like yours where if I pulled the bad leaves off nothing would be left. I am not sure this is just a coincidence or what because I thought aphids did the damage and netting would not stop them.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Would the row cover provide too much shade? Does it have to be on 24/7? It seems like as soon as the leafs start coming out that they get the stuff.

I need to plant some swiss chard to see if that one is perhaps better in the fall. Between beets and swiss chard, I really wish I could get some nice swiss chard.

Mary
Provided you use a light grade of floating row cover, chard will grow well beneath it. I had to cover mine one year to protect from goldfinches that were pecking the chard to death (!!!) and the chard that year was beautiful... and completely bug-free.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Worked this weekend on the South Pasture. I cleared sticks and cleaned up/pulled up weeds in the NW corner of the South Pasture and stripped the shelter and moved all 3 1/2 tow wagon's worth of soiled bedding there. I also moved saplings that I had cut down months ago and cut them up to manageable sizes to add to the piles of burnable wood next to my firepit.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
getting gardens put up. 2 more bean gardens to go and then back to the north garden if i can get to it. likely not. weather this next week is looking wet/brr. we'll see. :) always an adventure and sometimes a holiday...

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yesterday I planted fava beans in the greenhouse, just a test to see if I can get them early in the year. Also harvested the last dry beans, really late in the year. Normally we would have a killing frost in October.
Heavily mulched the japanese wineberries with sawdust. And started with cleaning out the creek next to my garden by hand. I will do a few metres every week because it's a tough job.

20181110_122241.jpg

First bit done. And the ditch hook I use to get the muck and reed roots out:
20181110_122244.jpg
still a long way to go
20181110_122238.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I planted fava beans in the greenhouse, just a test to see if I can get them early in the year. Also harvested the last dry beans, really late in the year. Normally we would have a killing frost in October.
Heavily mulched the japanese wineberries with sawdust. And started with cleaning out the creek next to my garden by hand. I will do a few metres every week because it's a tough job.

View attachment 29275
First bit done. And the ditch hook I use to get the muck and reed roots out:View attachment 29277 still a long way to go
View attachment 29276

the four pronger rake is a very useful tool here too. i use it almost every time i'm cleaning up a garden to pick up things i want to put in a bucket or to collect things to bury.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice work, that sure a nice grassy green area. Your garden?

We pulled wild cucumber vines out of the garden yesterday, goatweed, ragweed and lamb's quarters. We cleaned the fence between the garden and pasture #2. It was a sunny day, after weeks of rain and drizzle, it was wonderful!

Latest posts